Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Browning BPS 28 ga. What a great gun! It is light, points great, functions smoothly, and it beautiful to boot. Unlike a lot of 28 ga. guns I have shot, it is not "whippy." Part of this is the 28" barrel, but I also think that the BPS is just a really solid gun. I shot trap with it last night. It was a little hard to break the clays with no. 9 (I got a lot of chips), but I got spectacular breaks with the no. 8s.

Now I am going to have to start reloading.

Elliott

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have a 28 gauge Browning BPS that I have used with good results at different times while hunting.Most of the time I use my 28 gauge Franchi 48 AL but there are times when I like to use some of my other 28 gauge shotguns for something different.

Do you use a 28 gauge much to shoot trap with?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear 28 Gauge:

I just started shooting the 28 gauge. My friend lent me his 28 ga. Mossberg Silver Reserve, and I liked the gauge. I wanted a 28 ga. "starter" gun, something that was good quality, fit me well, and was fun to shoot, but not $2000. The BPS was perfect.

I was really attracted to the Franchi, but with the price of ammunition, I was worried about the gun throwing the empties everywhere. At my club, everyone who shoots the al48 loves it. I was just worried that an autoloading 28 ga. could put me in the poorhouse.

It goes without saying (for me at least), that 28 gauge is more of a challenge than 12 gauge at trap. However, as I am getting use to it, my scores are slowly equalizing.

Elliott

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have never fired a 28 gauge Mossberg Silver Reserve.The only one I have ever seen was at a gunshow this past October.It seemed to be a nice shotgun and had a price on it of $775.00 Canadian.

The 28 gauge can become very adictive.I am sure that your 28 gauge BPS will not be your last. :)

I can well imagine that the 28 gauge is more of a challenge than the 12 gauge.Have never seen any one use a 28 gauge for trap.Do you get a lot of lookers when using the 28 gauge BPS at trap?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I really don't attract an excessive amount of attention. Our trap program is informal and everyone is invited. We get everybody (except 10 gauge--we have never had a 10, but they would be invited if they wanted to shoot). We have a lot of 20s, a couple of 28s and 16s, and more .410s than you would imagine. We have everything from Pardner pumps to Perazzis. It is a great program, and we have a lot of fun.

The Silver Reserve is a nice gun, it just does not fit me. It was hard to get a good sighting plane for me. Otherwise, the gun was nice.

Elliott

·
Registered
962 Posts
The public range I shoot at is similar, there are a fairly large number of (usually older gentlemen) shooters that use 28 and 410 gauge to shoot skeet. I don't think ya see as many on the trap range, but I don't spend that much time there.
I was pulling doubles all the way around the skeet course for a guy a few weeks ago.....he was shooting at the outer most distance (something I've never tried) and even stepped off the pad and about 5 yards to the right and hit a double. He was shooting a 410!
Ross

1 - 6 of 6 Posts