Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Hello MistNoob,Thanks for registering with the Shotgunworld.com Forum!Actually Browning has had a lot of their shotguns manufactured in Japan, including the Auto-5. Using the Auto-5 as an example, most everyone tends to agree that the quality was just as good as the Belgian made models. I think that their is a certain stigma associated with products made in Japan....except for cars and electronics. In the FAQ forum you'll find a list of several japanese manufacturers.regards,Jay GentryShotgunworld.com Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked one up this morning. BPS 12g 26" barrel. It is vey nice. Not fancy but damn well put together. It came with a trigger lock and 3 invector plus chokes. I paid $380 at Gander Mountain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have owned a BPS (28" field gun) since 1993, using it for almost everything possible: upland, deer, turkey, beef board shoots, sporting clays. Have had no problems with it at all, though bluing has worn a bit and will get redone after this season. Best purchase for an 'all-around' pump gun I have ever made.Paul

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Quality, fit, finish, and wood is not the issue. If you can get past the country of origin thing, and I can, I have several Brownings and a Charles Daly from Japan, and like the way a BPS functions, they are a very nice shotgun. Me, I don't particularly like how they work, I buy Model 12s. They too say Browning on them and are made at the Miroku plant in Japan. No, they aren't current manufacture, but to me they are very well worth the hunt and the extra cost! You may very well be exceedingly happy with a BPS. It isn't a quality issue at all!

BP

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have owned a Browning BPS 10 gauge for about 10 years and I think the quality and fit and finish is excellent in this price range. I got one when they were made with the engraved receivers, turkeys on one side , geese on the other, also came with a pretty nice stock with some verticle tiger striping on it. 8) Quality control is very high with Japanese products. My wife and I have been driving Toyotas for over 20 years. :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
As a lefty who loves the concept of bottom-ejection and top tang safeties, the BPS should be high on my list of guns I would wish to own. When you couple this with the Browning moniker, it should be absolutely unstoppable, albeit the price is high versus other trombone guns on the market, other than the Ithaca offerings.

But the looks of the gun leave me cold; the forend design to be exact. It's boxy with no esthetic appeal whatsoever. It reminds me of the forend on a Mossberg .410 I saw at my local WallyWorld yesterday.

Why not offer it with a ringtail design like the M-37 Ithacas and Model 12 Winchester, or even the tapered 'end on the Winchester 1300? The Rem 870 design is nice as well, IMO.

I know, it only about my opinion on the form of a gun that has excellent function.

Just my two-hundredths worth.

Mike

·
Registered
369 Posts
Anything Browning is good, remember that!
The B2000 was a piece of junk---that's why they dropped it from manufacture pretty quickly. Most Browning products are good, though...especially those that were designed by John Browning.

I bought a BPS brand new, in 1978, the first year they appeared on dealer shelves, and it was the best investment I ever made. My only complaint is that the edges of the loading/ejection port are very sharp, and many times I have skinned my thumb up during a dove shoot as I stuffed shells into the gun. Other than that, it's just about perfect. Fit and finish are immaculate, it never malfunctions, and most importantly, it shoots to point of aim (a lot of guns don't.)

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
misternoob said:
I was shocked to find that these were made in Japan.
:shock: :shock: :!:

Sorry, my attempt at humor.

Browning BT99's have been out since the late 1960's and have been made in Japan. They have an excellent reputaion.

The BPS, introduced in 1977, it has always been made in Japan and has had a good reputation (though I have never personally had one, I have seen a large number in use in the past 27 years).

I have owned an SKB 600 Trap back in the 1970's as well as some Japanese made A5's and Citori Trap guns. I like my current Citori Trap.

In 34+ years of shooting I have never had or encountered a bad gun that was made in Japan, which is more than I can say for those from some other locations.

I would quite happily buy another Citori, or a BT99 (made in Japan) or an SKB, however, they currently don't import the SKB here to Canada in any quantity :cry:

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Japanese products are all excellent quality. They are very good about creating quality guns (cars too for that matter).

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Gordonstoun said:
Anything Browning is good, remember that!
The B2000 was a piece of junk---that's why they dropped it from manufacture pretty quickly. Most Browning products are good, though...especially those that were designed by John Browning.
My dad recently picked one of the B2000 up used at the local Gander Mountain. He didn't pay a whole lot for it and it had a horribly ugly red dot scope mounted on it but a allen wrench fixed the scope problem. After a good cleaning the gun has functioned flawlessly for him since. He has a thousand or so shells through it. Keep the gas port clean and its a great gun. Not sure why the compaints about it???

mcb

·
Registered
369 Posts
Your Pa may have got hold of a good one, but a lot of people have experienced malfunctions with them....seen a lot of posts on various forums about this. One of my friends bought one and it malfunctioned every time he tried to fire it (and it was clean, not dirty). The B2000, by the way, was assembled in Portugal (from Belgian parts) if my memory serves me correctly.

G

·
I've owned a 12g BPS for more than 10 years. It's seen its share of hunting in field, woods, and over water across 4 states as well as plenty of time at the club. The wood is nice, and it's never failed. No jams.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts