Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to post this earlier, but it never showed up. I apologize if this becomes a double post...

I am looking at my first skeet gun and new to O/U.

I am looking at a used Citori 20ga with SN ending in PZ163 with fixed chokes and 95%ish. They're asking for $900 for it and I am trying to work the down to $800. Good deal?

When I was function testing I pulled the trigger to dry fire the first barrel. After that I had to recycle the safety to have the firing pin drop again (I am assuming for the upper barrel). Is this normal? If I was to fire a load from the lower barrel would I be able to fire the upper barrel right away (without having to cycle the safety)?

Thank you!

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
Yes, it's normal on a Browning (and other brands, too.). The gun has to recoil to "reset" the second trigger. (It's called an "inertia trigger".) Sounds as if it's working correctly.

(Note: it also works if you use the selector switch for the second barrel.)

Value depends on the condition of the gun. You need pictures and a good description of wear on a gun.

·
Registered
27,086 Posts
The safety and barrel selector are the same switch. You can also just slap it with the palm of your hand.

If you TRULY want to function test it, shoot it

·
Registered
61 Posts
The trigger sounds like it's working normally. I had the same thing happen with a brand new Citori Superlight years ago, fortunately I remembered reading about single triggers and figured it out. The inertia system is just a method to prevent the shotgun from doubling (firing both barrels) when you pull the trigger. I've fired thousands of rounds in my Citori and had no issues at all with the trigger.

A 20 gauge gun commands a premium over a 12 gauge gun, for a fixed choke gun in 95% condition the price doesn't sound bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the information! Certainly makes me feel better about it.

I don't have any pictures of the gun, unfortunately. This gun shop is a little funny about all of that. They're selling the gun on consignment and I am waiting to hear back on if the seller will move off of his $900 price. I'm at the point now where I may pick it up regardless. If it all doesn't work out I have my eye on a new Franchi Affinity or Beretta A300.

·
Registered
27,086 Posts
The seller is taking less than $900, because the shop has their commission in that price - typically 15%; you might get them to move somewhat because of the fixed chokes. Am I to assume that this is a fixed skeet gun?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oneounceload said:
The seller is taking less than $900, because the shop has their commission in that price - typically 15%; you might get them to move somewhat because of the fixed chokes. Am I to assume that this is a fixed skeet gun?
Yes, this will only be used for skeet. The bottom barrel is skeet choke and the top barrel is IC choke. Being new to the sport, is the combination of the skeet & IC chokes good for skeet? My first attempt at skeet was with my Ithaca 37 with a fixed, modified choke barrel. There were at least 5 birds per game that I think I would have hit with the right choke, so now I better understand their importance!

I went back to the store this afternoon to hold it again. It fits me like a glove while the beretta & Franchi fit me only OK. I may still pick it up even if he doesn't move off the price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bill M. said:
So, did you buy it??
::Sigh:: Not yet. Left a VM with the store asking if they had spoken with the seller but they didn't return my call. The wait is killing me. I'm toying with buying it regardless, but I want to see if the seller will come down. It just fits me so much better than the Beretta A300 or Franchi Affinity. Regardless, I am going to make a decision by the end of the week so I can go shooting this weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the seller came down in price and I was to seal the deal. One of they guys at the shop saw me shoulder it and critiqued my form. Being new to shotguns, I followed his advice and felt more natural. Unfortunately the stock no longer fit me as the comb was too high. So, I walked away, sadly. I am either going to pick up the a300 or Franchi Affinity in the next few days.

Thank you for all of your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.