Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a 1979 Browning Citori Lgt G1, 20 ga, modified and full choke. It's a consignment gun and they are asking $850. It's allegedly unfired.

I'd appreciate any help on price.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just last week I sold the same gun in a 12 ga. bought in 1980 for $675. It had not been fired much, but wood had a bunch of dings and couple of rubs on the blue. First caller bought it and even told me my price was too low. The $850. sounds like good buy.

·
Premium Member
19,768 Posts
I'm going to take a different view on it and suggest that you not buy it at all. I certainly wouldn't pay $850 for a 24 year old Citori 20 gauge with fixed chokes, particularly modified and full. :!: What the heck are you going to use it for? Having fixed chokes of modified and full certainly limits your practical uses for the gun.

For just a little bit more money you could buy a brand new Browning, Beretta, Ruger, or Weatherby/SKB of any gauge you want and with screw-in choke tubes for a great variety of uses. Or, I'm sure there are newer used guns available at about that same $850 price which have the screw-in choke tubes.

I don't know what your experience is with shotguns, but if you are fairly new at it, don't be in any hurry to buy something. There are plenty of guns of all types available for sale. Don't think that you have to buy the first one offered to you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I'm buying the gun primarily for grouse hunting and maybe spring turkeys.

My original thought was to offer about $600 for it and see what happens. I have access to a local gunsmith so I could have the chokes opened if neccessary.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Unless there is something about that years model, I'd think you could find a used ic/mod or multi-choked Citori for around that price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.