Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you guys tell me about the Browning Double Auto Twelvette.I bought one so I can shoot trap with it.Any info you guys can give me would be apreciated.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
TWELVETTE DOUBLE AUTO
- similar to Double Auto, except hiduminum (aircraft alloy) frame and color anodized in royal or light blue, satin grey, maroon red, light brown, several shades of green, gold, jet, and dragon black, approx. 7 lbs. without rib. Approx. 67,000 (all variations) mfg. 1952-71.

Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
$650 $525 $450 $400 $350 $300 $260
w/vent. rib $750 $650 $575 $525 $475 $425 $350

Add 20-25% for brown or gold colored receiver.
Add 50%+ for maroon red or royal blue receiver (rare, only a few mfg.).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
The Twelvette is the aluminium receiver version of the Browning Double Auto. Some Recievers were colored/anodized. The first round is loaded into the chamber and the second is put in the port on the left side. The gun is Short-Recoil operated.

Some say they kick like a mule....

G

·
THE BROWNING BEGAN IN THE YEAR 1952 TO 1971. THE DOUBLE AUTO DID NOT GO OVER IN THE U.S. WAS WAS
A HIT IN EUROPE. ONLY ABOUT 67,487 SHOTGUNS WERE
MADE. IN 1958 BROWNING MARKED THE SHOTGUNS BY PLACING THE YEAR IT WAS MADE LIKE 8A ANDTHE SERIAL NUMBER THIS
WILL TELL YOU WHEN THE SHOTGUN WAS MADED...HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE OUT THERE..... :

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use the gun, you will fall in love with the way it handles. I think you will also find it is a great piece for trap/skeet, etc. Reliability of my piece is unsurpassed, even with thousands of rounds through the chamber.

I have owned one of these wonderful shotguns for over forty years. Mine was manufactured about 1957. My uncle - the only other owner - sold it to me in 1966 for $75.00 (then he didn't cash the check). Mine has the brown aluminum receiver, beautiful gold engraving and gold plated trigger (unfortunately worn away), ventilated rib on a 28in full choke barrel, and intricate checkering on forestock and buttstock.

Does it sound like I enjoy this gun? I do. I was a very small boy at 13, but shot 2-3/4 in. hi-base duck loads as often as possible and had a blast (literally). It's great for quail, dove, and pheasant, as well trap and skeet.

Unfortunately, my gun is for sale. Medical expenses and loss of interest in fire arms prevail. I joined this site to find a reasonable value for the gun and put the word out. The stock is cut for a small man (5' 6") or a youngster but with a stock extension, I had no trouble shooting as I grew.

I haven't used the gun since 1976 but its condition is very good, with only the normal wear of a young, seasonal shooter. When I was active in the sport, the gun saw seasonal smithing for reliability and safety.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.