Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a browning gold 10 gauge, i like the gun but it seems to have a problem with the shells seperating after ignition. I use federal 3 1/2 tungston iron in BBB,2s and 4s. At first i thought that it was the ammo, so i put a 3 1/2 inch winchester buffered lead 2 1/4 oz. this time the back of the shell blew off. has anyone had this happen to them? browning claims that it is the ammo, im not convinced of that however.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I baught one in Aug. of this year and have only put 50 or so rounds through it, but I did have a shell crack the plastic right at the rim of the brass. I've only noticed it once, I'll have to keep a closer eye on it...
Thanks for the post and Welcome to SGW!!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It almost sounds like a problem of headspacing. Something you hear about in rifles much more often than shot guns.

Do the shells always split or crack at the base end?

If so, I would definitely have a gunsmith check it out. In all my years (50) I've never had a shell base crack from ignition. We used to tear the brass sometimes on old paper shells when they would get wet in the chamber while hunting and swell, but never from shooting them.

Best regards,

Jeff

The nut list- Baker 1898 Damascus barrel double hammer gun / American Arms single shot 12 ga/ Winchester Model 12 26" IC solid rib black diamond high grade straight grip checkered stock and fore end 12ga / Winchester 1300 Black Shadow Turkey 12ga / Winchester SX2 3 ½" 12ga / Browning Gold Hunter 20ga / Stoeger 2000 Max4 camo 12ga / Beretta AL391 Urika Gold 12ga / Remington 870 Wingmaster 20ga / Springfield .410 single shot (for yet to be conceived grand babies)/ Ugartechea Model 30 12 ga/

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Watched a Beretta do something like this the other day. Promo shells with steel bases were getting stuck in the chamber and when they were fired the bolt mauled the heck out of them. In this case I'm betting on the shells, but in yours maybe your chamber needs a little touch up.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I put another box of shells through mine this morning while duck hunting, checked alot of them and didn't find anything out of the ordinary :?
I was shooting winchester, and federals...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts