Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first semi-auto 12 gauge and I am interested in the Browning Gold series. I will be using it primarily for upland bird, duck and goose hunting and occasional trap/skeet shooting. I am not interested in 3 1/2" capability. Will be doing a lot of late season pheasant hunting in S. Dakota, cold temps and snow on the ground. Which would you recommend, Hunter or Fusion? Is it a wash? Is the Fusion worth the extra few dollars? Appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks.

docmp

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have two very good friends who own Browning Gold Hunters that I go Sporting Clays shooting with every week. The other friends that typically go along have a Beretta 390, Benelli M1 Field, and Charles Daly semi-auto (all guns mentioned are 12GA).
My two buddies with Browning Gold Hunters have problems with fail to feeds or jams using light target loads ( one guy shoots 8 shot Remington cheapies from Walmart, the other shoots AA reloads). Usually they have between 1 to 4 FTF's in a 50 shot round, while the other guys with the Beretta, Benelli, and CD do not have the same problems.
The Browning's are very nice auto's, don't get me wrong, but the 2 I'm familiar with seem to like a bit heavier load than the normal target loads. I'm saying this only because you mentioned trap/skeet as one of your requirements.
Personally, I like the Benelli M1 Field the best out of all the autoloaders mentioned above, but that's just my personal opinion/preference.

Regards,

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
In Browning's owners manual it clearly states to use at least 1oz loads in the gun.

I own the Browning Gold Hunter 20guage and I've shot pheasants, chukars, quail, snow geese and turkey with it.
It's been 20 cases of shells in the year I've owned it and not one problem. I shoot hot (1225fps) 7/8oz loads or 1oz Winchester Super X or Remington ShurShot Heavy field loads and everything works fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
jlptexashunter said:
In Browning's owners manual it clearly states to use at least 1oz loads in the gun.
I haven't read the Browning owners manual (since I don't personally own a Gold Hunter), but I'll bet you're right on the money! They just need a bit more umph!
Thanks for the clarification.

Regards,

G

·
If you plan to get a browning, get the sporting clay model. They come with 2 pistons a light load and a heavy load piston

hi fairlane

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I had a chance to shoot a Browning Gold Fusion yesterday, and used 7/8 oz Wal-Mart shells, and it spit them all out with no problem.

The only thing I noticed is that one time the bolt closed after the last round fired, when it should stay open...that was confusing.

I thought the Gold Fusion was just a highly likeable gun. One of the writers said it had the lighter piston to eject lighter shells, and that was interesting.

G

·
I shoot a gold hunter and am very impressed with the way it performs. I have tried the fusion and am at a loss to tell the difference. I believe Browning make the best value for money auto you can buy and mine has never given me so much as a moments problem.

G

·
I personally think the gold hunter does not compare to the other auto-loaders. I own a gold hunter 3 1/2 and it gives me nothing but problems. My remington 1100's never fail and they are 30 years old.

G

·
i own a goldhunter in 3in mag and i have never had a single problem with it. i have been doing a lot of research on the the golds and it seems like most of the complaints that i have read have all been from the guys who got the 3 1/2 in guns. and it seems like everyone who ive talked to or know how has a 3in is just tickled to death with the way it works for them. if im full of hot air by sayin 3in is more reliable than 3 1/2 someone tell me. but in my experiences the 3 1/2s just seemed to be a little less reliable.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I think the problems with the 3.5" is people are not reading their manuals and breaking them in properly.

·
Registered
262 Posts
why cant the fusion be used with slugs and steel. I believe you are wrong mossberg man. I know you can shoot steel through it for sure.This is quoted from the browning web page. "All current Browning shotguns with the Invector or Invector-Plus choke tube system are fully steel shot compatible with current factory loads." Also i dont see the problem with slugs. the fusion comes with a light sporting piston for clays ans light loads but also comes with a heavy piston which I see no reason you couldnt shoot slugs out of it. It also has a 3" chamber. I have never shot a 3" shell at either the clays course or at a grouse. Some people might but I havent. Not to many upland/clays specific guns come with a 3" chamber. I was also told by the locol gunshop guy that any gold barrel with go on and gold shotgun as so long as the chambers are the same. This means you could buy a rifled barrel for your fusion. I believe all my facts are right but go ahead and prove me wrong. Next time check you facts before you go spouting off about a gun.

skog

G

·
Go to any shooting competition and see what more people shoot than any other.

Beretta... This is for a reason.

The Brownings are not a bad gun.. Just do yourself a favor and consider a Beretta

G

·
I have owned a 12 gauge Browning Gold Hunter 3" for three seasons now. It has given me nothing but problems. I have had problems with ejection after shooting a box or so of shells in a days hunt. I keep my guns in immaculate condition. I have tried shooting the gun very lightly oiled, and also with a little more oil and I still continue to have many problems. I also had problems with a Remington 11-87 Premier I had previously owned. I think I will stick to non-autos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a Gold Classic Hunter today, but before I did, I called Browning to see about barrel availability. All gold series Brownings accept the rifled slug barrels, EXCEPT the Fusion. Browning said that the Fusion took its own barrel (won't fit other gold models and vise versa). I wasn't going to buy the Gold if I couldn't get a rifled cantilever barrel for it. That is what steered me away from the Fusion (plus the Classic is semi-humpback, which I like.) Just thought I would share what Browning told me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.