Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some feedback on the browning gold hunter. I want to use it mostly for skeet shooting and occasionally pheasant hunting. It's the 3" model not the 3 1/2" model. I heard the 3 1/2" model has problems ejecting/loading shells.

Would this be a good skeet gun or is it mostly for hunting? Do I need to buy a gun specifically for skeet/target or will this hunting version work as well? Its only $500 which I think is a good price that's why i'm considering it over another Browning skeet gun.

What's the general difference b/t a hunting gun vs. a skeet gun?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
While I'm not a expert at this I've heard some very strong praise for this gun as a "do it all" type. There are several posts in the "archives" both pro and con. I've heard the 3.5 inch gun has trouble cycling light target loads which you might be using for skeet (this is also true of most other brand auto-loaders).
End result is how much you like it and how it fits your budget, as for me I've decided to buy a Remington 11-87.
Good luck...Levi

·
Registered
61 Posts
OH No! That guns for huntin only - Ain't no good for skeet - Ya better let me have it for $525 for the field! ( I hope, i hope, i hope)

Seriously, that's a FINE gun (all around and good at about everything) and i really wish you'd let be buy it for $500, in a heart beat if in good condition...

Come on - Browning IS the best, you know the rest...
I've got a near perfect '64 A5 light 2 3/4" fixed mod choke(no steel), and the ONLY reason i'd even consider gettin rid of it is for a new Gold 3', changable choke, steel capable... Gold Hunters shoot GREAT, i've shoot a couple rounds a skeet with one and Everybody Shoots Better with a Browning. About the only disadvantage to one is it's a mortal unforgivable sin to abuse or beat up a Browning Auto in the field!

I dont realy know for sure, but some say the skeet version only differs in a little more additional weight to help out on the recoil wear on ya for hi volume shooting - the Hunter version being slightly lighter for carying all day.

So, You really want the Skeet version and send me a PM so I can get that Gold Hunter version for $500...

G

·
Hey i would say jsut get a gold fusion its a cross between a sporting and hunting model, awesome gun. It'll shoot anything from 7/8 oz to the heaviest. And it comes with all the goodies: shim kit, fiber optic site, light weight and a lot of others.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The Browning Gold is a wonderful shotgun. My 3.5 will cycle all the way down to 1 oz loads. The 3" down to 7/8oz loads.

The early Golds did have some problems. But the current ones, such as the ones I own, and the ones friends own have all been Flawless.
You should try it. I don think you will be disapointed.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I've got the Browning Gold Hunter 20 gauge. Lots of clays, lots of birds and always flawless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.