Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a Browning Ladies Gold 12 ga. Browning is out so I'm hoping to find someone that has one in stock. Since no one around me has it, I can't even shoulder it to see how it fits. Any opinions would be helpful. I've seen the previous posts that mention it, but any additional opinions would be great.

Thanks
Cindy

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would got to some gun stores. And if they don't have the ladies in stock shoulder the mans the one i have is a man's just with a cut down stock. They are really great guns, but i also saw one woman who shot mine, and then her husband bought her one (women's model) and that thing beat her to death. Maybe its just the way some of us are built.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Where in the state are you? G.A.T. up on the northern side of Chicago (don't remember the exact town, not far from West Dundee) has a pretty amazing selection.

Bartelmay's in Peoria stocks a pretty good selection (or I should say they did, ain't been there in awhile)

there used to be a shop in Carterville that had a decent selection but that has been years ago....

G

·
Hey ladies!!!

I'm waiting for a Ladies Gold to come in so I still have a little time to back out. There is almost nothing on the net as far as reviews of the Ladies Gold. It's for a present for my wife. she's 5'4" 118 lbs dripping wet and currently shoots a Citori Sporting Clays with 1 ounce loads. The Citori is "heavy" for her and she can only do one round before getting wimpy about the kick. So... does ANYONE have any solid pro/con feedback on the Browning??? Let's say vs a reduced stock Urika or something?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had a women's gold sporting for around a year now, and I really like it. The barrel is ported and it has a Kick-eez recoil pad. I would call it a soft shooter. I routinely shoot 1-1/8 oz loads through it, sometimes super handicaps, and have had no trouble after several-hundred round days. I am 5' and about 120lbs. I shot skeet, trap and the occasional clay round all last winter in Northern Minnesota, and really had no cold weather trouble. I do keep it clean, though. This gun has been a good choice for me, maybe partly because it fits comfortably. It might not be the answer for everyone.
Catherine

G

·
Hey, just a quick thanks to those who responded on the Ladies clays. It came in yesterday. So far my wife has pumped through about 100 rounds of 1 oz and 200 rounds of 1 1/8th. She's breaking well once we lowered the comb with the shim. I think it could even go a little lower still. In any event she hammered 300+ rounds in two days and her shoulder is intact. Normally she starts to "feel it" with her Citori Sporting Clays about station 9 (35 rounds or so of 1 oz) on the course. It's been a milliion years since she's felt up to doing a second round in one day. Today we just went to a range and busted clay for manual throwers so she could get more accustomed to the sight picture. Toward the end she was hitting with a modified and smoking them about 30 yards out. She pumped a few through her old Citori and could definitely feel the kick. We went for pheasants at the hunt club after that she she waxed a couple woth my 20 gage Franchi o/u. (She was afraid to use her "new gun" and get "scratches on it"... women!). All things considered, the Gold was a good buy. She's getting used to shooting it and likes the feel. We compared it to a friend's regular Clays Gold and the rear stock definitely has a lot more changes than just 'reduced length'. It is shorter, but the pistol grip is narrower and tighter, not much if any palm swell, and the radius seems tighter. The comb is definitely higher and the for stock seems a little narrower. The gun fit her like a glove, and she's 5'4" and 120lbs, her forearm is 13.5 inches (before I got the gun as a present I measured her forearm while she was sleeping). The gun comes with two gas cyclinders, one for <1 1/8th and one for >= 1 1/8th loads. The cylinder for the larger loads seemed to have no problem cycling some 7/8ths we had too. In the 300+ rounds fired so far we've had about 4 jams, all on feeding the shell into the chamber, so it's probably more of an ammo issue.

So overall, we're happy with the Gold. About the only issues I can see is that the shims don't offer any castoff options and the comb seems way too high, even for a "smaller" head. About the only other thing is that these things appear rarer than chicken's teeth to find. Most of the local gunshops I contacted where like, "Ladies Gold huh? Yeah, I think we might have gotten one in about 1997 or so but that's the last one we saw..." I funally managed to find one in inventory at ONE Gander Mountain store and had to wait 5 days for them to finally figure out how to ship it to Green Bay.

So anyways, thanks to those that responded plus I hope my comments help those that may be interested in the gun in the future.

G

·
my wife loves her browning ladies also. put 100 rd. thru it last week and she is 6 mo. pregnant. i didn't see in the manual or internet on how to swap the shims, any info would be great. thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Browning Ladies Gold for about 2 years. I love it. Don't feel any recoil at all I shoot 1 1/8oz. I don't use it much anymore I just got a Browning XS for sporting clays.

G

·
I bought a Browning Ladies Sporting last year, and I also had a very hard time finding a gun. I shouldered one in St. Louis, but by the time I made up my mind, it had been sold. I contacted every gun dealer in a several state radius, and I finally bought mine from Miller's Gun Shop on the east coast and had it transferred to a local gun shop here in St. Louis.

I also had problems with my gun jamming from the beginning. Browing actually replaced my gun after a couple of trips to Browning here in Fenton, MO. My second gun works very well, as long as I keep it very clean. I will have an occasional jam if the gun is dirty, but I have good luck reloading with Clays powder which is cleaner burining than some others.

Browning was excellent to deal with. I routinely see shooters with new guns of all brands come out to the range with a gun that isn't working properly. Browning did do everything right to correct the problem quickly, and they treated me very well throughout the process. I would still buy another Browning tomorrow.

I do love the gun and I can shoot 200+ in a day without feeling it. I still hate picking up the hulls though!

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
My wife is shooting a regular Browning Gold with a shortened stock. But she is having so many problems with face-slap that her friends are going to start thinking that I'm beating her. Is there a significant difference between this "ladies" Gold and the regular?

How about the Wenig stocks? Does anyone have any experience with those? She enjoys shooting, but getting bruised takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Redbeard,

What loads are you having her shoot?

I bought my daughter one of the ladies sporting models with the ported barrel, loaded up some light 1 oz loads (At about 1150-1180 fps) and she doesn't notice a thing.

Haven't had the chance to have her shoot the 7/8 oz loads yet, but those should be even milder.

I have a feeling her problem may be gun fit. You probably don't need to spend a fortune on a new stock, you may just want to have the fit checked out by someone who has some experience.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Novice_Shtr said:
What loads are you having her shoot?
We shoot a 1 oz. load with approx. 2.75 dram equivalent. It is pretty light recoil. It is the face-slap that is getting her - the shoulder is fine.
Novice_Shtr said:
I have a feeling her problem may be gun fit. You probably don't need to spend a fortune on a new stock, you may just want to have the fit checked out by someone who has some experience.
We had the local fitter shorten the stock when she first started shooting it. It is currently as short as it can go without cutting the bolt inside the stock. He also altered the cast on it for her, and that helped a bit, but she still gets bruised on the face.

Our local fitter thinks it is short enough and keeps saying that it is the way she is mounting it, but he hasn't been able to tell her what to do differently. So I'm looking for any advice that I can get.

G

·
I would like to revisit the Browning Gold Ladies topic. I am interested in any and all feedback especially from those using it for trap. I have been shooting trap with a Rem 1100 LT (20 ga) and have a hard time getting them out there. Last week I borrowed a Browning Golden Clays Sporting Clays and did amazingly better with it and felt no more recoil than with the 1100LT which is like nothing. For the first time I was totally powdering the clays into smoke. The LOP was long (2" longer than my 1100LT) so I know the "Ladies" would be good at 1" longer. But I worry about how the gun will sight for me since they altered more than just the legnth and there isn't one around to shoulder. The "men's" just had a perfect natural signt for me w/o even trying to find "that spot". It's a lot of money to spend w/o getting to try it out but I know no one who has the ladies. Does anyone know anyone in the New England area with one? All comments welcome. Thanks, GSPgal

G

·
I used my ladies gsp for trap last year. Good points include the porting, LOP, very low recoil (Kick-Eez pad), and its relative heaviness. In your case, a lot of 12 gauges might help you hit more birds than the 20 gauge LT, because you're putting more lead out there and the barrels might be longer. Is that the synthetic model with the short barrel? They deliver some kick!
As the Gold is a sporting clays model, the rib is going to be more appropriate for those types of presentations, and I needed to almost cover the bird to get a good hit in trap. The disadvantage I had there is that with a higher rib, you can hold under the rising trap target and see it when you pull the trigger. You could modify the rib on the lgsp to make it a more fitting trap gun.
I do have trouble with shells cycling in cold weather. It's a little picky about reloads in the winter, too. But that's not a trap consideration, unless you shoot doubles. It's a good gun, but if you can't find one, keep an open mind about the Beretta 391 RL parallel target. Probably easier to find, and try out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hi Guest, thanks for your suggestion of the Beretta, I'll try to check it out. Can you explain more about the problem you had with the ladies gold sporting clay with cycling? cold weather etc?
My Rem 1100LT is not synthetic, it is 22 years old which is why I can't change out the chokes and am stuck trying to shoot trap with an IC. :cry: It does have a short barrel (23") as you suggest but it has NO RECOIL whatsoever unlike your assumption. small people love it. Also, the lower rib isn't a problem because if I cover the clay I end up above so I always shoot under anyway. A high rib is a problem for me in trap. I want to be able to use the gun for sporting clays as well as trap. Did you adjust the shims on the stock of your Ladies GSC and did you find you used it with different settings for different presentations?
thanks, GSPgal

G

·
Glad to hear your LT is recoil-free. My 9 year old has the newer matte finish synthetic model, and it kicks him a bit, but not enough for him to want to stop shooting! In weather below 30 degrees, the first spent hull in my lgsp would often hang up in the chamber, or would eject and the second one would only load halfway. I kept the action and magazine tube clean, used 1-1/8 oz shells, experimented with the amount and type of lubricating oil to use, and just got used to pulling out the first hull while swinging for the second shot. It looks so fetching when you go for the second shot and there's no shell in the chamber and you almost pitch over on your face... The guy who owned the sporting clays place I shot at was having the same problems with his Gold, too. I did have slightly better luck when using newer hulls rather than those loaded a few times. Later in the season I bought an Beretta o/u.It doesn't jam, but the Gold is more recoil-friendly. Have a good day!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought the Ladies Gold Sporting Clays for my 13 year old daughter, and she loves it. It will not cycle the lighter loads I made for her (7/8ths oz), but the 1 oz loads don't bother her a bit.

Now, the only issue that we've noticed with it is that it has a very low sight plane with respect to the comb. It has less drop to the comb. I was told this is due to women generally having higher cheekbones, therefore they needed the comb higher for a proper fit. Well, with my daughter, the comb is almost too high (We have put in the shim to lower the comb) She's also about 5' 8" tall already! So far that's the only issue we have, and she's getting good with it! Started shooting doubles (Off of a foot operated trap) the other day and was smoking them both!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts