Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a Browning Pigeon Superposed in 12 gauge 28" barrels made in 1973. It came in a Browning take down hard case. I'm not sure it has been shot much, and I never have fired it. I'm debating getting rid of a few of the safe queens and this might be one. I'm not fishing for buyers but just had a few question.

How is the Superposed Market? I've seen the market for guns in our area get soft and I haven't kept up to speed on these?

Any distinguishing items that would increase or decrease the value?

I tried to upload some pictures and will try from home tonight.

Thanks for the help all,

ddj

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
One potential concern is if it is a 'salt wood' gun. I am no expert, but '73 would be just after the salt guns, but most buyers would want to make sure it does not have salt wood. Look for excessive corrosion where the stock meets the receiver, you can also pull a stock screw and see how the threaded portion looks (if corroded, it is likely a salt gun). This would drastically affect value.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Many Super collectors and fans prefer the Round Knob Long Tang (RKLT) as opposed to the Flat Knob Short Tang (FKST). 1973 guns should all be Short Tang...does your gun have a Round or Flat knob?
It really doesn't mean a hill of beans for shooting, just aesthetics,
Is it a trap gun with a beaver tale? (unlikely with 28 in bbls)
Does it have a Butt Pad or Butt Plate?
Purdy wood or just straight grain canoe paddle wood?

In general, I am seeing a soft Superposed market; there are decent Grade 1s in my area for $850! Citoris are going for more.

I think, but am not sure, decent Pigeons are going for $3K plus.

·
Registered
170 Posts
NoDak Scotty said:
Many Super collectors and fans prefer the Round Knob Long Tang (RKLT) as opposed to the Flat Knob Short Tang (FKST). 1973 guns should all be Short Tang...does your gun have a Round or Flat knob? ....

I think, but am not sure, decent Pigeons are going for $3K plus.
The long tang came back in the 70's, see Ned Schwing's book... My 1972 (unfired) Superposed 32" trap has a long tang. And yes, Nice examples are in the 3K and up range if not messed with.
Mike B

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.