Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of purchasing one. The 12 gauge with 26" barrels is listed at 6 lbs 12 oz on their web site. Is this reasonably accurate ? Anyone have an actual weight on this gun they own ? Any other info appreciated as well. Gun would be for upland hunting. I want the lightest 12 gauge gas-operted gun i can find, and this seems like it might be it.

·
Registered
28,183 Posts
FS said:
Thinking of purchasing one. The 12 gauge with 26" barrels is listed at 6 lbs 12 oz on their web site. Is this reasonably accurate ? Anyone have an actual weight on this gun they own ? Any other info appreciated as well. Gun would be for upland hunting. I want the lightest 12 gauge gas-operted gun i can find, and this seems like it might be it.
http://randywakeman.com/BrowningGoldSuperlight12GaugeFLD.htm

·
Registered
397 Posts
:D

Hi Fellow hunter,

It's not a gas gun but very light and very easy to take recoil.

The gun is the Benelli Ultralight. About 6#.

Look at the Benelli forum and you'll find a lot of info.

I have one and will be selling my Super Black Eagle II and keeping the Ultralight.

Ernie

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I am a Browning fan, but this Super Light Hunter is advertised at 6lb 12 oz and comes in at 7lbs 2oz, that's not really "super light" in my opinion, especially when the BUL is at 6lbs or a hair over. My BUL is just a hair under 6lbs 2oz, and it doesn't recoil bad at all when using sensible upland loads. I'd really be tempted by a Browning if they could get that weight down to an honest 6 1/2 pounds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other poster did say 7 lb 2 oz for his. Without more posts, we won't know if that weight is a good barometer or not. Almost all guns come heavier than the nominal specifications in my experience, i just wanted to make sure it was within a quarter pound. I prefer a 7lb gun as this feels light to me after hunting with an 8lb 1100 for years. Anything under 6.5 lbs is way too wippy for me.

Funny you guys should bring up the new benelli ultra light. Friend of mine loves his, weighs in at 6 lb. I had a montefeltro that was 7lb on the head and didn't like the recoil. I had more percieved recoil with it than an o/u of the exact same weight, and the action seemed loud as heck even with standard field loads, very distracting. Balance of the gun was great though.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I think the lightest gas guns are about 7lbs give or take. I like the gold evolve it sure felt light enough to me, but I see it weights in 2oz heavier than the super lite according to Browning.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
FS said:
Funny you guys should bring up the new benelli ultra light. Friend of mine loves his, weighs in at 6 lb. I had a montefeltro that was 7lb on the head and didn't like the recoil. I had more percieved recoil with it than an o/u of the exact same weight, and the action seemed loud as heck even with standard field loads, very distracting. Balance of the gun was great though.
The magic of the BUL is that it's not whippy. At least that's not how mine feels and several others I know who have lot's of gunning experience have reported the same. That and they seem to recoil less than they should. I've never heard anyone say they are louder than other shotguns. You have some interesting comments.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Two things to consider when you see someone else posting weights of a gun they have. Their scale is not the same one the manufacturer uses. I've weighed guns on the same scale at differnt time and got differnt weights as the scale would have its "zero" change around after time.
The second is the denisty of the wood on W/B models. Unlike synthetic models, the wood ones don't have the same consistency.

I've weighed some models the were heavier, the same, and lighter than the manufacturer listed weights. The only thing I use my scaled weights for is a head to head comparsion with the same scale on the same day.

The Franchi 712's are fairly light Gas operated models as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts