Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an excellent 1960's gun that fits me very well,made for 3inch shells
choked F and IM. Was thinking about possible fitting with thin wall chokes or opening to IC and Mod.
Wouldnt consider project but love the feel,mount and swing dynamics.
This a SC not field toy.Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Magic , You are a man after my own Heart. I have severai gr 1 supers for various purposes. one of them is a 30" broadway 2 3/4" that I bent the stock,gave it a little longer L.O.P. and had Mike Orlen open the chokes to IC and Lt.Mod . that gun is a dream to shoot. good luck with your project ! {hs#

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Nothing wrong with going to screw in chokes. For SC I generally use MOD/IM most of the time, but IC /MOD would work well in most situations. Either would work...

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
If anybody can thread and tube a Super, it's Briley. And indeed, the barrel may be too thin even for them to do it. I've got a Browning Double Auto I considered having opened or tubed and called Briley. They said they can do ALMOST all old Browning barrels, but until they inspect them it's just a probably. Actual dimension rules. Not all barrels are the same thickness nor are they uniformly thick all the way around.

If you think you may want to have choke tubes installed no not open the choke first. Opening the choke will thin out an already small dia barrel and that can make the difference on whether the barrel can be threaded and ultra thin chokes installed. If you are serious about this, call Briley. I had the full barrel of my SIG/Rizzini .410 O/U threaded but they would not commit without my sending them the barrel. Just a few .001 makes a huge difference! I left the Double Auto alone and just bought another gun instead.

BP

·
Registered
351 Posts
Magic,

I too wanted to adapt a tightly-choked (F/IM) Superposed for SC and had the same questions.

The fine folks at Briley evaluated the gun for thin wall tube installation. They concluded that it was possible to thread for tubes, but due to the limited barrel wall thickness at the muzzle they would have had to install the tubes in such a way that the point of impact (POI) for both barrels would need to change: the POI for the top barrel would be raised, while the POI for the bottom barrel would be lowered. The changes needed were quite significant for this gun - especially since for me the top POI was already shooting high and bottom POI already a bit low - based on shooting tests.

I decided that it was preferable not to screw up the POI, so had the chokes opened to M/IC.

With a little load juggling, this choke combo works well for most SC courses.

For any that decide to install choke tubes in a Superposed, make sure to ask if there will be a POI change. You may be surprised!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Magic20 said:
Found an excellent 1960's gun that fits me very well,made for 3inch shells
choked F and IM. Was thinking about possible fitting with thin wall chokes or opening to IC and Mod.
Wouldnt consider project but love the feel,mount and swing dynamics.
This a SC not field toy.Thoughts?
First and foremost ... Congratulations! Supers from the 50s and 60s are simply wonderful guns, and if this one fits you, you may have found a lifelong shooting partner.

And, yes, as several folks have noted, the installation of even "thin wall" tubes in Belgian Browning barrels can be a bit of a crap shoot, and more importantly, it may not be necessary. I'd get it out and shoot some sporting clays with it. You may find that you'll break all the birds you want without changing anything at all.

Why? Well, others may certainly disagree, but I think of it this way ... If you're comfortable with the "feel, mount and swing dynamics" of a gun, you're more likely to be on target. If you're on target with an overchoked gun, you'll obliterate the close targets and still have a shot at the far ones. As such, you'll avoid being "that guy" who changes chokes at every station :wink:

Enjoy!
Dave

P.S. How 'bout some pictures of your new beauty?!?

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
I'd bet that Super will pattern pretty tight. They were made in the days before one piece plastic wads. Barrels are typically smaller with tighter chokes than later manufactured guns. Years back everyone I knew shot full choke barrels. We shot close up with devastating results. From 35 yards and out, they still hit like the hammer of Thor! My Model 12, A5, and Double Auto are just that way. You don't get many "cheap" shots with those barrels. If you're on'em, you'll know!

BP

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'd forget the thinwalls, only open one barrel. Leave the IM barrel alone, have them open up the F choke barrel to Modified. The tighter barrel will be on the bottom, but who cares? Much of the time, the tight choke is needed on the first shot at sporting anyhow. If for whatever reason you don't like it, have them open the top barrel to Modified later; no harm, no foul.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.