Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I didn't own a 12 gauge (until now) and picked up this As New Appears Unfired "Broadway Trap" at auction based on condition and price. I predominately shoot Skeet with sub gauge field guns. I'm not much of a Trap shooter so I took this monster, 8 3/4 lbs, to my club and shot a 21 using the factory fixed Full / Improved Modify chokes. I'm guessing this gun throws about a 12 inch pattern at Skeet distances.

The gun fits me nicely. It has a flat wide rib whose twin beads stack into a perfect figure 8. I don't believe it shoots high like a trap gun as I didn't have to float my birds to pulverize them. I began to think ( here's where I run into trouble ) that if choked properly, this gun could be a terrific all around Skeet and Sporting Clays 12 gauge.

I believe Briley Thin Wall Chokes could transform this vintage classic into a very versatile 12 gauge. It certainly isn't rare or even scarce so I don't believe I'll burn in hell if I decide to make it my own.

It's got style, condition, fit, barrel length and weight. All it needs is proper constrictions for the various games. With a Mod and full choke tube it could even shoot Trap.

Any thoughts ??

· Registered
97 Posts
Excellent! It looks very similar to my 28" Browning Citori 'skeet & skeet' that I purchased new in 1982. Mine has had literally thousands of trouble free rounds through it....And after all these years, it's still my favorite gun for skeet. I've thought about briley chokes occasionally over the years but never made the leap.

· Registered
137 Posts
It isn’t always possible to thread Superposed barrels for aftermarket chokes. The barrels often have a flat spot machined where the mid rib is soldered. Look closely at the muzzle end, if it’s there, you’ll see it.
when in doubt, send it to Briley. If it’s possible, they can do it. You can always have the fixed chokes opened to SK or IC, whatever best suits you.
i’ve never been a purist when it comes to altering older guns. A grade one super is not a museum quality classic. Do whatever you want with it and enjoy it.

· Registered
509 Posts
I had Briley install their Thin Wall tubes into a 1951 Superposed Trap model w/o the B'way rib a few years back. I've posted pictures of this gun most recently on this thread:

The condition of the gun when I discovered it in my usual gun store was far from pristine so I didn't think twice about it. It then went to Art's in Missouri for the rest of the work.
It fits me just about perfectly and I'm fairly lethal with it. But I wouldn't change a thing on 2lo8s gun. Helluva find. Congrats!

· Registered
146 Posts
I had Briley install their Thin Wall tubes into a 1951 Superposed Trap model w/o the B'way rib a few years back. I've posted pictures of this gun most recently on this thread:

The condition of the gun when I discovered it in my usual gun store was far from pristine so I didn't think twice about it. It then went to Art's in Missouri for the rest of the work.
It fits me just about perfectly and I'm fairly lethal with it. But I wouldn't change a thing on 2lo8s gun. Helluva find. Congrats!
I have a cousin who bought a Broadway cheap [salt wood] & had the wood stabilized. It was a 30", sent it to Briley and they were able to thin wall it; he is deadly with it on the SC courses....1cas

· Registered
2,510 Posts
….Any thoughts ??
Absolutely. Well, actually experience. The first gun I came across after starting my soft search for a 32” Browning was a Superposed Broadway “long tang” trigger guard gun which was listed in some local classifieds. After confirming the serial #’s indicated year of Mfr devoid of any salt wood issues I struck a deal and picked the gun in its factory case up from the seller. I was instantly taken aback by the weight of this thing!!!!!!!!!!!

Come to learn, the previous owner had Briley install a recoil pad, tune the triggers, lengthen the forcing cones and thread the bbls for thin wall chokes of which it came with four: Mod, Imp Mod, Full and Full + (not sure how that last constriction actually appears on the outside of the tube; the gun is in WNC and I am wintering in Fla.)

THE BIGGEST SURPRISE is that this gun, as wide as the rib is and as heavy and as tightly choked as it is, it is an absolute barn burner on the sporting clays courses with 3/4 and 7/8oz reloads. (Not sure if the Superposeds came with mechanical triggers or if Briley converted them but, the fact the triggers are mechanical allows me to shoot skeet w the gun using my 5/8oz 12ga reloads. “Airborne Ink dots” does a good job of describing skeet targets hit w this gun. I have too many skeet guns now to ever justify even considering the time and expense of getting more open thin walls made for it but, it’s a hoot to shoot skeet w as is…)

One thing I did right away is order a couple sets of replacement firing pin springs (and, iirc also firing pins) from J&P.

For a split second I thought I was going to sell this Superposed once I found a 32” Citori but, a member here brokered me a 32” 525 from a friend of his in MO and even though the 525 is one of my traveling guns, the Superposed Is. Not. Going. Anywhere. anytime soon!!!!!!!

I hope you get even half the enjoyment out of yours as I have mine (and I’ve only owned this one for two years!) AND it is safe to bet they will only increase in value

Reactions: Mr.Jeem

· Registered
1,806 Posts
Congratulations, that's a great specimen. Since the bores are not chromed, it's an inexpensive alternative to have a good barrel crartsman ream them, including building in a parallel section. Especially if the barrel geometry is not suitable for tubes.

.010/.020, .020/.020, .015/.025 or anywhere in between would make for a great all around target gun. You'd never have to worry about changing tubes, cleaning them, or loosening up. Of course, if you want to spend the money and would enjoy having tubes, it's a good option if suitable.

It would be a dream to shoot with light reloads, and comfortable with just about any good competition load. I have considered the same route myself since I appreciate Superposeds. I have an SP1 for targets, and a Superposed Superlight for hunting. But if ever an older Super happened to feel better in my hands for targets, I'd do what you're doing in a heartbeat. I never change chokes anyway, although I may use an occasional spreader.

Shoot it in good health.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
My thought. Between what you paid plus the cost for Briley to install thin walls you’ll be beyond the value of the gun. BUT, you’ll have a gun that fits you and you can shoot well.
What’s that worth to YOU ?

· Registered
1,003 Posts
I Believe only one barrel can be threaded for choke tubes on a B25 barrel owing to how thin they are

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Over here, the only place to do it is Nigel Teague in the UK and everyone who asks gets told that a thin wall choke can only be installed in one tube in a Belgian browning

1 - 20 of 25 Posts