Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
If it is a 12ga,it was made in 1931.

Value depends on alot if things that you have not divulged such as gauge,grade,barrel length,chokes,trigger configuration.,etc. Your question as it stands is like asking what a Ford F150 truck is worth in "probably good condition". :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 20 Ga. Guess a skeet gun would have skeet chokes. Obviously I'm not a gun apraiser so probably good condition is what I see & I'd consider it a standard grade in normal barrel length. Not looking for an exact value. Sorry if I offended you.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
No offense whatsoever! OK, early Supers had alot of options. They can be valued from $500 to $10,000+ depending on these options. Here are a few questions that will help us know what the gun really is:

1. Does it have 1 or 2 triggers? If it has two,are they "single double triggers?

2. Are the barrels marked with a skeet choke designation? This will be two astricks and a dollar sign(**$). What are the exact words on the barrel?

3. What are the barrel legnths and is the space between the barrels filled in or open? Is there a rib? If so,is it solid or vented?This really makes a difference.

4. What is the grip style on the butt stock? Is it straight(English) or rounded modified Prince Of Wales?

5. Check the proof marks and see if you find 20-70 or 20-65. Describe the proof marks.

6. Describe the engraving in detail. This is a biggie,too.

7. Are there any original papers with the gun?

8. Is the gun in an original hard case (railroad case)?

9. Is the gun 100% original? Huge factor.

Condition,I am sure that you know,is a big factor,too. With the above information we will be able to help you. However,an exact value is impossible without having the gun in hand,of course. :wink:

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
If the gun is a 20ga,it is a 1949. If it has 30 inch skeet barrels I will give you twice what Bill said the gun is worth if condition and many of the other features that I ask about are in place.

What I am saying there is alot of missing information on your gun and it is IMPOSSIBLE to give you a true value without that info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The owner tells me it is a 1929 model. Has the 26" barrels. Standard grade. Single trigger. Not knowing how to grade the condition, I'd say it is fair to good. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have the gun in hand. Round knob stock. No papers or case. He purchased it many years ago. It's a shooter.Not a collector gun. He was just curious as to it's value. Thanks again. G. Nast

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Guess that I cannot help you as to the value. I know of no records of 20ga Supers from the 1929 era. The first Supers were 12ga and were made in 1926. I do not think that the 20ga Suoers were built until April of 1931. I may be wrong,though because J. Browning was in the habit of making test and display guns with no records kept. If you could ducument the 1929 date, you may have a very valuabel gun.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
gnpnast,
The superposed was not introduced until 1931 although those first guns were made in 1930 by FN. They did not produce a 20 gauge until 1949. They had a prototype for the 20 in the late 30's but because of the war, they did not build it until much later. Serial number 462 was built in 1950 (range is 269 to 1782 in 1950). The 20 gauge guns had their own set of serial numbers, starting with #1.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
My research shows that they started making 20ga Supers in 1949 with #201 and finished the year with # 1700. It may well have been made in 1950 as Customsox said. The Browning records and books are conflicting on production dates but they usually are within a year of agreement.

Short barreled skeet guns are out of vogue just now and are bretty hard to sell. Every one wants a 28",30" or longer barrel because that is what the pros are paid to shoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.