Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
If it is a 12ga,it was made in 1931.

Value depends on alot if things that you have not divulged such as gauge,grade,barrel length,chokes,trigger configuration.,etc. Your question as it stands is like asking what a Ford F150 truck is worth in "probably good condition". :wink:

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
No offense whatsoever! OK, early Supers had alot of options. They can be valued from $500 to $10,000+ depending on these options. Here are a few questions that will help us know what the gun really is:

1. Does it have 1 or 2 triggers? If it has two,are they "single double triggers?

2. Are the barrels marked with a skeet choke designation? This will be two astricks and a dollar sign(**$). What are the exact words on the barrel?

3. What are the barrel legnths and is the space between the barrels filled in or open? Is there a rib? If so,is it solid or vented?This really makes a difference.

4. What is the grip style on the butt stock? Is it straight(English) or rounded modified Prince Of Wales?

5. Check the proof marks and see if you find 20-70 or 20-65. Describe the proof marks.

6. Describe the engraving in detail. This is a biggie,too.

7. Are there any original papers with the gun?

8. Is the gun in an original hard case (railroad case)?

9. Is the gun 100% original? Huge factor.

Condition,I am sure that you know,is a big factor,too. With the above information we will be able to help you. However,an exact value is impossible without having the gun in hand,of course. :wink:

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
If the gun is a 20ga,it is a 1949. If it has 30 inch skeet barrels I will give you twice what Bill said the gun is worth if condition and many of the other features that I ask about are in place.

What I am saying there is alot of missing information on your gun and it is IMPOSSIBLE to give you a true value without that info.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Guess that I cannot help you as to the value. I know of no records of 20ga Supers from the 1929 era. The first Supers were 12ga and were made in 1926. I do not think that the 20ga Suoers were built until April of 1931. I may be wrong,though because J. Browning was in the habit of making test and display guns with no records kept. If you could ducument the 1929 date, you may have a very valuabel gun.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
My research shows that they started making 20ga Supers in 1949 with #201 and finished the year with # 1700. It may well have been made in 1950 as Customsox said. The Browning records and books are conflicting on production dates but they usually are within a year of agreement.

Short barreled skeet guns are out of vogue just now and are bretty hard to sell. Every one wants a 28",30" or longer barrel because that is what the pros are paid to shoot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.