Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my son was given a Sweet Sixteen 16 gauge Semi Automatic shotgun to him by his grandfather. He would like to know the history and value. All we know is it was made in Belguim, could not find a serial number unless this is the number where you put the shells in X24268, special steel 16 gauge on the barrel. and holds 2 3/4 shell. There is also a number on the barrel 0KG889 with symbols that we cannot read, I am guessing it is a plain barrel, it also came with 3 chokes. Could you help, Thank you and God Bless, Palma

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hopefully you will get LOTS more information then I can start you out with.
Browning Auto 5 "Sweet Sixteen" is a BEAUTIFUL shotgun, a product of one of the BEST firearms designers of all time: John Moses Browning (designer of the 1911 .45ACP and part of the P-35 "High Power" Pistols and the Browning Automatic Rifle BAR...among others)
It is a recoil operated semi-automatic self loading shotgun sometimes called the humpback because of the squared off receiver...16 gauge is coming back with a vengence so shells may be harder right now to find but should become easier soon...I believe it was the 1st commercial self loading semi-automatic shotgun and is still made today and highly prized (but then you already knew that...it was Grandpa's)
More will chime in with FAR more knowledge but this'll get you goin'!!!
Bill

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Silversport only missed a little on one point the A-5 was discontinued in 2000 .

Your serial number X24268 is an enigma since in the Bluebooks serialization chart there is a 4000 gap in sequence between 1947 and 1948 ( guess who's gun falls in that gap). There is a distinct possibility that since Remington contracted to build the A-5 during the Second World War (except during Our involvement) and continued to help out for several years (until 1952 or so both Rem and Browning were producing them) that your gun was made by Remington and stamped with Browning's info.

Unless it is stamped with "Sweet Sixteen" , it is not. I say this because Sweet Sixteen became a generic term for any A-5 in 16 ga.

To find the real deal on your shotgun contact Browning's historian at 800-333-3288 ,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the quick responses, its very much appreciated, I will also call the number that you left for me to get any other info, and yes it is special because his grandfather gave it to him. We are not interested in selling it, just curious about its history, his grandfather has a wonderful gun collection and he will inherit more of them down the road, he received this one now, because its dove season down here in Texas (Monday) and he had out grown his 410. Thank you and God Bless, Palma[/b]

·
Registered
285 Posts
In addition, the 3 screw in chokes would most likely be an after market item as they did not become common until the 1980s, well after the apparent production timeframe that MarlandS is speaking of.

Do the chokes have a manufacturer's name or trademark on them?

·
Registered
285 Posts
MarlandS, would the "Made in Belgum" indicate that this gun was NOT produced by Remington? Or did Remington continue with that mark? Don't think it would be "Made in Belgum" during WWII, or not?

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
JM, I really wish I could definitively answer that question. Check out this thread down toward the bottom http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6 It is possible that belgian barrels went on American recievers.... IF Rem. differentiated from their model 11 on the production line... I have to get that book put out by Waterdog Press...

I'm wondering if the 3 screw in chokes belong to a Cutts Compensator??? But plain barrel was stated.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts