Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gold 3 1/2(97) that keeps jamming up and have been reading how browning has re-designed the gas operation. I am reluctant of going out and buying a new browning based on past usage. I have been looking at the X2 or SBE as well. Any thoughts? Or more insight about the re-design?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well If Browning has redesigned the gas system on it then I am sure it will only be better. My guess is it will accept a larger range of loads. I have not heard anything about it...well at least that I remember. What type of loads were jamming on you? I know that the 3.5" guns say at least 1 1/8 oz loads. I know there are a few 3.5" loads that my uncles 11/87 does not like due to the base expanding and then jamming in the chamber. Oh and by the way the X2 uses the same exact gas system as the browning. And the SBE is up in the $1k+ range. The SBE is a good gun and easy to clean but doesn't offer the recoil reducing that the gas system on the Gold/X2 does.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what i meant was, right after i bought my gold browning boought winchester and they re-de
signed the chamber.

If I can get a good reliable gun, money is not an issue. The issue I am having is whenever I shoot 3 ½ loads I get jamming in the sense that I load one in the hole and the next one inline doesn't stay in the mag. A local dealer said he could fix and I will be going that route first. I just went and looked at the benelli SBE-camo at lunchtime and I must say that feels like a great gun.

·
Premium Member
19,861 Posts
If you want a gun that will shoot 3 1/2" shells and money is no problem, then your search is over, IMO. Get the Beretta Xtrema. I personally know several guys who own these guns and shoot them a lot, including at sporting clays. I've yet to hear anything but praise from these guys about the Xtrema, and I know the guys well enough that if they weren't happy with the gun, they would say so.

G

·
I am also kind of in the same boat in trying to decide on a shotgun. I have pretty much decided on the X2, but haven't decided on whether I want to get the 3 1/2 inch version. Does anyone know if the extra gas piston for ultra light loads that comes with the Sporting model will work in the 3 1/2 inch model? I am not trying to hijack your post, but if that is a viable option and you can buy that part individually, that gives you a little more to think about. I have heard nothing but good things about the X2. Does anyone have any experience with the reliability of the 3 1/2 inch model feeding various shell sizes and loads?

·
Registered
541 Posts
bbrown, I had posted about that in a different thread and I had a chance to look at the pistons and yes they should be interchangable. Wich would give you a full all around gun. My guess is you would have to order the piston as a replacement part.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am itchin' for a new shotgun myself, I am just trying to justify the means. The X2 or a SBE. I'm just gonna continue to keep using the Ben Franklin close on myself and maybe I just might find cause. The wife found out, so I am tippy-toeing at the moment. :shock:

G

·
Just bought Beretta A391 Xtrema 3.5...went shooting yesterday with buddy who has Super Black Eagle. Shot 3.5 inch magnums through both guns...Xtrema is MUCH nicer gun on recoil! Switched to 2.75 inch target loads on both guns...SBE failed to cycle, Xtrema ever missed a cycle. Shot a round of skeet with the Xtrema...sweet gun, best score I've had. I compared SBE, Xtrema, Browning & Winchester when I bought...Xtrema was $200 less than SBE! The Xtrema is a "bigger" gun...fatter stock, etc., need to make sure it fits you before you buy. Noticeably different feel to it. Highly recommend the Xtrema.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts