Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting into sporting clays, need help on which brand over/under to purchase. Browning,Beretta or Benelli?http:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Browning or Beretta, which ever one fits you the best. Don't mean to be, dull but what O/U does Benelli make? At any tournament I don't see ANY Benelli's (well, I take that back. I do know of ONE guy that shoots one, he loved it at first but now there are starting to be some comments about the recoil) The Browning or the Beretta are very well made guns that will take the punishment of tournament use.....Jack

·
Registered
178 Posts
+1 to the advise to choose the one that FITS you best. Fit is everything in shotgunning. Between equal quality firearms the fit of the gun should be a deciding factor in your choice.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would look at all and any quality O/U for fit before you make a purchase. I shoot a sporting O/U for competition skeet only because it fits me much better than other skeet "labeled" guns. Good Hunting!

·
Registered
24,443 Posts
Go to your local club and either rent, or borrow, several types to see what fits you best. Browning and Beretta are very different in that regard - usually if one fits well, the other doesn't.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Buy the one which has most appeal.....then have it professionally fitted to you. IMHO 8)

Honer in Wild and Wonderful

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Both are excellent guns that will serve you well; however, I would strongly advise you to get some exposure to the sport before purchasing a new O/U. You didn't state what your budget is, but there are numerous other choices. Most people change guns several times before settling on one. Look for a clean used gun that you won't lose a lot of money on if you decide to trade up. As stated above, try as many different guns as you can. When you find the right one it will be true love.

·
Premium Member
19,703 Posts
thehoner said:
Buy the one which has most appeal.....then have it professionally fitted to you. IMHO 8)
+1

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
A beginner at sporting clays should purchase a 12 gauge Beretta 391 Sporter, which is a gas auto,,,with a 30" barrel. Beretta sells different length recoil pads for these guns. If you have short arms get a short pad, if you have long arms get a long pad,,,,or just shoot the pad that comes with it until you get used to the gun. These guns cost just under a thousand bucks if you shop carefully, brand new, and you'll still get about two thirds of your money back if you ever want to sell it. Besides, you'll be shooting thousands of dollars worth of shells and clay pigeons with your nine hundred dollar gun. :wink:

After, and only after, you've mastered the game enough to shoot somewhere in the 80's on a regular basis, should you consider and over and under shotgun. You may not want one by then. More than a few master class shots use the Beretta 391 because they shoot higher scores with it than they do their over and unders.

Why the gas auto? Because it's easier to shoot, easier to learn on, and they minimize felt recoil. The game of sporting clays isn't dependent on the gun. It helps to read all you can about the game, and a good instructor won't hurt anything, but the only, only way to become proficient at sporting clays is to shoot the game, preferably with somebody else that's better than you are, enough times until the "learning curve" kicks in and you find yourself expecting the bird to break instead of hoping it will break. It's the greatest feeling in shotgun sports to be able to break long crossing birds,,,,or short in your face birds,,,chandells,,,,rabbits,,,teal,,,,and count your misses instead of your hits. The only way to get there is to buy an adequate gun and start shooting.

After you've become proficient,,,then buy the over and under you want,,and you won't have to ask anybody by then what brand you want because by then you'll know. Then,,,if you think it will help,,,,have the gun fitted to you.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
++++1 to everything that Super X said , VERY well stated. Of course, I would have to add the SX 1 to the list....Jack

·
Registered
512 Posts
oneounceload said:
Go to your local club and either rent, or borrow, several types to see what fits you best. Browning and Beretta are very different in that regard - usually if one fits well, the other doesn't.
I'll second this idea. Shoot as many different makes and types before you buy. It might save you some money and time in the long run.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts