Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Remington 870 supermag. What choke would I put in if I was deer hunting and wanted to have my first shot be a slug and my second be a buckshot load? I don't have a rifled barrel. And also, is it going to hurt anything to shoot a slug out of a tighter choke, or does it matter? Thanks. I've never deer hunted with a shotgun until this year and so I don't know any of these things.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
A modified choke would be best of a bad situation.

It's been my experience that slug accuracy tends to suffer in a full choke. My best (non-rifled barrel) slug accuracy has been with a cylinder bore 870. I've shot some slugs through a smoothbore with mod. choke and achieved decent accuracy. I've shot slugs through a full choke and was all over the paper.

Shooting buckshot, you want the tightest choke possible. This will give you tighter patterns at longer ranges.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to load your gun that way?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really care to load my gun that way. I don't know if I'll try it or not. I just know several guys who deer hunt with shotguns, and they do it like this. The theory is that if for some reason they miss their first shot or don't make a good shot, they have a better chance of getting a good shot on a deer running away with a buckshot load. Sounds logical, but hopefully you wouldn't need any more than the first shot. But even if I started hunting with my shotgun, I don't know if I would do this or not...what do you guys think?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.