Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a h and r excell with 18 inch barrel, it has a cylinder thing inside of it that you flip around to better fire heavy or light ammo. I plan to use reduced recoil 2.3/4 8 pellet 00 buckshot. I am not sure what determines a heavy or light load. I dont know the weight of the shot, it wasnt on the box (remington managed recoil). So what is considered heavy and what is considered light? slugs vs buck vs bird/small game.....?? Thanks guys.

ps, it came with 4 chokes, any suggestion on what type of choke to use?

anything other than home defense that this gun is good for? thanks again.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Others might argue with me, but it depends on how far your self defense shots may be. If across the room, 50 ft or less, I'd use CYL or open choke. You want a little pellet spread (6-12") on impact.

Use the "heavy" cylinder setting, but definitely test you ammo to make sure it cycles reliably.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
The 8x00 Buck weighs 1 ounce at 1200fps, so that's definitely in the light target load area. Use the light piston setting.

I use CYL or IC with buck unless it's smaller pellets. In my experience large buck patterns worse as chokes get tighter, but every gun is a little different.

These low velocity large pellet loads often pattern tightly enough without choke, so try your most open chokes first.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Cerberus said:
The 8x00 Buck weighs 1 ounce at 1200fps, so that's definitely in the light target load area. Use the light piston setting.

I use CYL or IC with buck unless it's smaller pellets. In my experience large buck patterns worse as chokes get tighter, but every gun is a little different.

These low velocity large pellet loads often pattern tightly enough without choke, so try your most open chokes first.
Based on my testing you are spot on Cerberus!
When shooting buckshot, its important to have a more open constriction so you don't "blow" the pattern.
You can get away with tighter choke on an 8 pellet 1 oz load, but as you start to increase size pellet or quantity of pellet, you must open up your choke for best performance!
Sincerely, Jimmy Muller

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.