Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a Stoeger M2000 with a 24 inch barrel and I have one with a 26 inch barrel. Aside from this they are the same gun. His gun patterns 3 inch buckshot GREAT with a Full choke. Mine pattern aweful with a full choke and is OK with a turkey, but still not great.

Can 2 inches make that big a difference? Also, is there any way to adjust how your gun shoots a certain load? I would presume not, but it's worth asking. I tried both Federal and Winchester and they both pattern about the same.

Any advice?

Todd

·
Registered
245 Posts
There are several factors that could affect the pattern between the two barrels...One - The harmonics of the barrel as the shot leaves the barrel. Two - No two barrels are the same in that one could have a slight buldge or slightly more open bore. Three - You may actually be better off with a more open choke like an IM or M.

·
Premium Member
20,284 Posts
Shotgunner gave you good advice. In addition, I would add that just because both chokes are marked "Full" doesn't mean they are identical. Have you tried his Full choke in your gun to see what the patterns look like?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I hadn't thought of tryin his choke in my gun. Since this gun will be used for deer hunting with buckshot, I need a tight pattern at a distance, thus I figure full or extra full would be best. That's what has patterned best in the past.

Todd

·
Registered
156 Posts
With my Benelli I get the best pattern with 00 Buck and modified choke. IC, IM and F did not pattern as well as the modified.

A full choke may be deforming the pellets too much and causing them to spread out once they are in flight.

5Shot

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Its all in the choke for the most part, that's why there's so many after market choke makers. Take half a dozen choke tubes from the same manufacture and you get slightly different patterns out of each one. Personally I've always felt that most folks over-choke their guns, especial turkey hunters and then wonder why their patterns have so many flyer's!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
you should also try different sizes of buckshot. I would try 2 3/4" vs 3" and also 000 vs. 00 vs. 0. buckshot is sometimes very tricky. Each gun is very different. Me and my father have the same wingmasters and we both shoot different shells with different chokes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.