Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: Has anyone that shoots buckshot while patterning ever experienced the phenomenon of buckshot shooting a donut shape pattern when using full choke like remington recommends on the buckshot boxes? I myself have patterned just about all of Remingtons "Express Buckshot" in my mossberg 500 12 gauge and have found the full choke is the worst one u could use. My patterning was done at a bench from 35 yards and i found that the modified choke produces very dense patterns at this range.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Not uncommon at all especially with large pellets through tight chokes. The larger pellets can't squeeze and move through the choke as well and can cause all sorts of blown patterns, including those donut shapes.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Try Federal Premium 00 loads: Hard plated pellets, grex, shot cup, spiral pellet stacking. It is not unusual to get 8-10 inch patterns at 25 yards with Full chokes and Federal premium.

Ralph

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
It has been my experiance that the larger the shot the more variance in the pattern. Buckshot should be patterened before hunting with it. I've found huge differences shooting the same gun with different brands of ammo. Sort of one of those things you just have to try out until you get the right combo.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
My Father has a bolt action 20 ga full-choked that throws a reverse "C" pattern with #4 buck only...

Now...I have never heard anyone 'recommend' shooting 'buck-shot' through a full choke...In fact I have always heard exactly the opposite in that it should be only used through a MOD or more open choke...

when using full choke like remington recommends on the buckshot boxes?
Can you scan or take a picture of the text on the 'box' that you are saying recommends 'full-choke'?

The only reference I can find about any 'recommendation' on the Remington site is while looking at the dedicated guns...

or a 20-inch fixed Improved Cylinder barrel for rifled slugs or buckshot.
http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870expdr.htm

·
Registered
471 Posts
Not to be on one side or another, but I've seen with some manufacturers that list a recommended choke on the box. However, I'm starting to believe that the choke they are recommending is more like a limit of what to not exceed. Ex: if the box says Full, don't try to use a XX-Full. Instead, use a Full or a more open choke.

Buckshot is one of the shot sizes where I need to go back and pattern using a more open choke to see what happens. I had patterned my Mossy 500 using a Full choke with various loads. Can't wait to see what the Mod shows.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts