Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Apparently it is! Just talked to the guy, and he said they have been out less than a week and a half!

Hadn't heard any thing on a 20 gage coming up! 5.2 pounds, he says. And I would think, that price is likely to be hard to beat.

The 12 gage BUL's, this year were just so much better pheasant killers than the 20's that we carried last season, we will be staying with them! Absolutely no comparison! Plus, they will cycle 20 gage equivalent loads. Makes them the much better all around gun.

Clyde

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
I thought so as well, that is why I called him, and curiosity of course. But he said he does have them or at least one. Didn't give any numbers, just said, yep, he has a 20 gage for sale. 5.2 pounds so it has to be scaled down. That is somewhat lighter than the Montefeltro 20 gage.

Said they wouldn't be in the catalog until next year.

Clyde

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sent the info to a friend this morning when I saw it and he bought 2 BUL's today from that dealer! A 12 and a 20!

I've definitely got to have me one of those 20's to go with the 12.

Clyde - better not show this to your wife - she'll want one of those 20's.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
mtjim said:
Clyde - better not show this to your wife - she'll want one of those 20's.
Not a problem! She is perfectly happy with her 12!

As a matter of fact, with all the raging, "a 20 gage is a better pheasant gun than a 12 gage", going on on SGW.com and her knowing nothing whatsoever about the controversy, I asked her, just this morning, about last years guns and their performance, compared to this years!

Her answer was that it "was like night and day!"

Yeah, I do take some long shots, even with pointing dogs. When the birds are getting up, 30, 40, or more yards ahead of the dogs, you either have to take what ones that you think you can make or hunt lots farther for the closer shots.

I had been practicing all summer, on long crossers, wobble skeet from the 35 yard line, Annie Oakleys, etc. and I did kill some birds at 65 and 70 yards this fall. I actually missed or lost more up close shots than those long ones. A couple of up close ones took an extra shot, either with a feather puller on the first one or a clean miss. The long ones, I believe were either dead, or a clean miss.

I actually saw the pattern pass about 5 feet behind one bird, again, at about 70 yards, I just hadn't given that one enough lead! A 90 degree crosser was seeming to require some where between 20 and 30 feet of lead, depending on wind conditions. The miss in this case was a more quartering bird. Needed more than I expected, plus the wind was blowing the same direction that the pattern missed in.

Do I recommend everyone taking shots like that? No! But I have been wowing some of the Annie shooters this summer, especially on the hard angles. One of those long shots was taken because of a "gawker" on the road. He slowed down and was watching the dogs and I. I dropped that bird, dead in the air, when it finally cleared his truck! He thought I was shooting a rifle!

First day of the season in NE. this year, the birds acted like they had been heavily hunted for the last 3 months! They were getting up 200 yards to the front and the sides!

Then on the third day, you had to almost kick some of them in the butt to get them up. One, (that I missed, twice! :oops:), got up right under my left foot, actually hitting the bottom of the foot on the flush! I was actually starting to step on him! The dogs had passed him by, on the upwind side and he just sat completely tight! Startled me so much,---, well you know the excuse! :roll:

Another one, came up in front of us and came with the wind, almost overhead, at about 20 yards or less. Swung on him and it looked like I had simply mutilated his breast. The feathers looked like they would fill a pillow! He went down hard, in some still standing corn, (I was hunting some strips), and I was certain that he was mangled! One of the dogs saw it, ran in, and within a minute or two, came back out without him. Had this funny look on her face! I took her and the GWP back in and when I got to the impact spot, they were pointing it. The spot, that is. No bird, just the other half of his feathers! He had to be almost naked when he left there! And I don't think it was under his own power! There were 6 or 8 badger holes within just a few feet of the spot. I think that badger had food from heaven dropped on him! The dogs just acted like there was no trail to follow! I guess I don't blame them!

Are you going back to SD. this season, Jim? Since we didn't stop there, on this trip, we are going next month. Hope there are still some birds left by then!

I am thinking about another, (better), trap gun. Those Annie boys are putting money on the line! Been pretty much getting my share, but I am greedy!

Clyde

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'll stick with the 12 gauge. I really don't need a gun to weigh less than 6 pounds. Plus the 12 gauge give me more versatility in the field.

I let my 10 year old son shoot my BUL all the time. It's easy for him to carry and with 24 gram loads it will kick less than a 20 gauge. Since this current BUL fits him so well it might give me an excuse to get another one :wink:

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am with Squareload on this one. I would have to assume that the BUL 20 is going to require too much work to shoot well. ON the other hand, if it has the dynamics of the 12 ga., then it should go over pretty well.

I think we will be able to tell soon, by the number of used ones on the market. It likely will work fine with 7/8 oz but 1 oz should kick like H$ll. I will be looking forward to the reviews.

I have been shooting a lot of starlings with the 12 ga. and 7/8 oz of shot(20 ga. load). I cannot imagine that a 20 will kill birds to the distance of 40 yards with reliablility, like the 12 ga. does.

Fred

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Fred, it is just a blast to walk out to the 27 yard trap line and break birds with 3/4 oz. 12 gage loads! Most trap shooters just can't believe it.

Of course not as many as say, 1 1/8 oz. trap loads, but still fun!

Clyde

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called my friend today and he said, "Yes, it's in my gun safe, but since I'm leaving the country for 12 days, why don't you take it and shoot it while I'm gone."

It's now on my kitchen table right next to my 12 ga. BUL where I can drool to my heart's content.

I'll try to get a picture up real quick.

Can't wait to shoot it Friday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very interested in the results of the 20ga ultralight also. I had my heart set an Montefeltro in 20ga till I found out about the Ultralight in 12ga.

I am looking to get a new upland hunting shotgun as I am ready to upgrade from my single shot break action Stevens 20ga. I initially thought the 20ga Montefeltro would be great as I usually hunt grouse and stocked pheasant here in Connecticut which are usually short shots, but the stories of the Ultralight from you guys on this board made me rethink my thoughts.

A managable 12ga that weighs as little as most light 20gas really got me thinking; but I have small warm spot in my heart for the 20ga as it has served me well over the past couple years with my Stevens.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I will reserve judgement until I can hold one. My 26" M1 20ga only weighs 5.8 lbs. We're only talking about 1/2 a pound from an already light shotgun. I don't think it will be worth it. Now, if I didn't already have the M1, I'd buy one is a heartbeat! The M1 20ga has become my favorite shotgun in the duck blind.

Doc T

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just some quick observations so far.

The forearm on the 20 ga. BUL is longer than on the 12 ga. A friend and I decided that was an engineering decision that had to do with balance.

I carried the 20 ga. BUL on a 4 hour hunt today and never had an opportunity to shoot it! :(

I was hunting with seasoned hunters with good dogs so I couldn't very well just blast holes in the sky to see how it shot.

It did carry mighty nice. I agree with what was said about if you already own a montefeltro or M1 20ga. you probably wouldn't gain much with a 20ga. BUL.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well I have a Monte 20ga and a BUL in 12ga. I just purchased a BUL in 20ga because I could I guess. I will take it out tomorrow in the am huniting. I like the way they feel. The forearm is longer on the 12ga BUL for some reason. I didn't find that much weight difference between any of them, the Monte 20, (heavier than advertised) the BUL 12ga (heavier than advertised) and the BUL 20ga. (heavier than advertised. Myabe my scale was off but it seems to be pretty close on other things. I've had to change shims on all of them to make them fit and feel right, but that's what the shims are for.
I can't wait for the opportunity to kill something with the 20ga BUL
Rog

1 - 20 of 27 Posts