Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have two O/U shotguns, one in 20 and one in 12, and I have the Stoeger M2000 in Max 4 camo. I can decide between the BUL and the Monte Silver in 12 gauge. I will use it to hunt dove, pheasant, etc. on nice days only. Otherwise the Stoeger or the O/Us will come out. What do you recommend? I took my Stoeger on my first pheasant hunt the other day, and while it wasn't a huge problem, I noticed it was heavy. I was glad we only hunted for 2 hours. If you were buying, what would you get?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Dove and pheasants? The other gun was too heavy? Lots of walking?

Get the BUL.

You've got the heavy auto covered. Now get a truly light one for your upland birds.

·
Registered
367 Posts
For hunting, I prefer the BUL. I usually hunt around 4-5 hours a day while hunting chukars. I really notice that my arms do not get so fatigued carrying it instead of my 7# Sport. And, it handles nicer to my taste, anyway.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I own a Monte Silver, absolutely beautiful gun and good handling, BUT in your place I would go with the BUL I hear nothing but good things about it. Not that the Monte Silver is not a good gun, it is gorgeous .

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or I could get a 20 gauge Monte Silver. At 5.4 pounds, it is lighter than the Ultralight. I've got the 12 gauge handled, and I don't think 20 vs 12 will matter with upland birds, will it?

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
TX1911fan said:
Or I could get a 20 gauge Monte Silver. At 5.4 pounds, it is lighter than the Ultralight. I've got the 12 gauge handled, and I don't think 20 vs 12 will matter with upland birds, will it?
Farm raised birds or wild bobwhites, no. Wild pheasants, chucker, huns, etc. yes.

Clyde

·
Registered
619 Posts
I agree with DE, in some cases the 12 bore is the only gauge for pheasants. The BUL allows the shooter to choose 20 gauge loads for recoil reduction, 1 ounce loads for upland birds and full 12 gauge 1-1/8th and above for late season pheasant. All of this in a 20 gauge package. I see no reason to buy an upland auto in any other configuration. The BUL is perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.