Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed Bullseye is listed for light 12ga loads, but I can't access the Alliant's data on their website.

Anyone have any info on it for 12ga light 7/8oz loads?

Thank you.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
i have a fair number of 7/8 and 1 ounce loads with be----the data is hercules to give you an idea of age---if you want

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I f ya choose to use BE be VERY careful----pm me if ya want loads-this is a very fast burning pistol powder and tolerances are VERY close--there are MUCH better choices for light loads :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Yup very fast buring which is why it isn't the most popular powder out there for shotguns. There is data though most loads are in the 14.5-17grn range. I've been trying to get my hands on some Bullseye for my 12ga 3/4oz loads. I think it would be just the ticket for them.

Tim

·
Registered
856 Posts
I tried Bullseye in a 7/8oz. load years ago. I wasn't happy with it. They weren't very consistent...lot of bloopers as I was loading on the light side of the acceptable powder charge. Figured I'd better keep them on the light side because of the faster burn rate.

I don't even use Bullseye in my 38Spl. reloads anymore.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Hodgdon's Titewad, a very popular 12 gauge powder, is higher than Bullseye on this powder burn-rate list.

Bullseye is best suited for light target hangun loads and was never intended for use in shotshells. There are a few recipes listed in the various editions of the Lyman Reloading Handbooks, but not many.

It's also one of the filthiest powders on earth and for that reason I never used it in light .38 wadcutter target loads.

If I were looking for a really fast light shotshell powder I'd pick Titewad and wouldn't even consider Bullseye.

But 14.7 grains of Promo, a fairly fast powder itself, work very well in 3/4 oz. loads for me, and it's vastly cheaper than Titewad.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I use Bullseye in 45 ACP loads and avoid using it anywhere else. Case is right...it's flithy. But it does a good job with a 200gr SWC bullet but that's about it.
If I recall, the 38SPL load was 2.7gr, with 2.9gr max. I think that says it all...that's way too tight, and there are plenty of good shotgun powders out there.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,

While thumbing through the 2005 Alliant catalog AND their website, I can't get any info on a Bullseye recipe.

I have an email and a phone message in to their offices in Virginia, but no reply as of yet...... :roll:

I just thought you guys might have some info about it.

I did get a source for Promo locally. $75.00 for a keg (8lb) from The Gun Rack in K-vegas (local joke name for Kernersville, NC).

I have PM'd cbxchris about it. We're both salivating as we await its arrival to the shop.... :D

I also went to the local Gander Mtn in Greensboro and asked about them ordering it for me. I had to basically convince the gun CS guy that Promo DID exist and Alliant WAS the mfgr..... :shock: :roll:

I had him do a net search and go to the Alliant site. He said, 'Hey, we stock these folks powders back there." I just kinda shook my head. He even went to a website that sells Promo for $79.95 per 8lb keg. They want $94.00 for the same thing but said they'd price match. I happened to see their price on his computer screen. $70.00.

After I get it from The Gun Rack for $75.00, I'll have him price match that! :lol:

PMs are coming to you guys with Bullseye recipes...

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I received a phone call from "Ben" at Alliant.

He advised 17.0 gr Bullseye for Rem STS or Win AA hulls using the WAA12SL wad with 1oz shot.

For 7/8oz shot in either the Rem hull or the Win AA hull he advises 16.5 gr. using the WAA12L (gray) wad.

Each are supposed to produce 1200fps. He did not state which primer. I'll use the W209.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
since you got a ''verification'', these loads i have show from 17.0-18.0 [most 17.5] for aa's and rems, with various wads/primers. though this was earlier than the sl wad----the 12f1 [short period wad] was the fare.

did you happen to ask what happened to paul, or why we don't get visits anymore :?:

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Equismith said:
While thumbing through the 2005 Alliant catalog AND their website, I can't get any info on a Bullseye recipe.
There's a good reason for that -- it's not a shotshell powder.

Just curious... Why are you so interested in that filthy stuff?

Bullseye not only burns dirty -- it's dirty just touching it.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
His phone # is 1-800-276-9337

Ext. 2

He left me a message so I wasn't able to ask questions. :(

He seemed quite pleasant in his message and encouraged calls to Alliant anytime there are questions.

PMs are coming to you guys with Bullseye recipes...
I guess I have what I need from "Ben."

Thanks for the replies.

Bud

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I missed your post Case. I was typing the above while you must have been typing yours.

Alliant lists it as a light 12ga powder in their catalog AND on the bottles of Bullseye.

I'm just asking qustions about powders as I await the Promo to arrive.

Titewad, Clays, Promo, and others have been listed as good powders by posters for light 12ga loads.

I'm just seeking answers since I'm new to the 12ga arena.... :oops:

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
i loaded a couple of pounds of it when i went to 7/8 oz in about 1974, it certainly wasn't the dirtiest powder out there then, certainly not as dirty as 700x :roll:

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I just polished off the last of a I think a 3# keg of the stuff. A friend had it arround a while and we decided to just shoot it up. We broke lots of targets with it and it wasn't any dirtier than lots of other powders I've used over the years. It may not be the ideal shotgun powder, but it danged sure works!

Somewhere in the 17 to 18 gr of it with about any hull, wad, and primer combination you care to use with 1 oz of shot. This out of an alliant booklet dated 1996.

BP

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Maybe Bullseye acts differently in shotshells and actually isn't so dirty. I've never tried it in shotshells.

It was always dirty in my light .38 wadcutter and .45 target loads. In fact, it always had a well-earned reputation as the dirtiest handgun powder on earth.

I still can't imagine why anyoe would make it his powder of choice when there's Titewad, a clean burner which is even faster than Bullseye.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Why is Bullseye so dirty, poor quality, cheap components used in the mix????

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Don't know, Don -- something in the ingredients I assume.

Ask any oldtimer target handgunner and he'll tell you it's a dirty powder. Nevertheless, it was very popular and widely used. In fact, it was virtually the standard for light target loads.

When I was shooting a lot of target handgun, I used it for awhile, then switched to Winchester 231.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I still use it some for 38 wadcutter loads. The reason, I have about 3-4 lbs. of the stuff I have to use up somehow.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think the popularity of Bullseye goes with the fact it's been around since the dawn of time.

Take a look at a powder book from say 1985 and one from today. Lots and lots more choices, especially with import powders now available in the US market.

Once you get a customer base, especially with metalic reloaders, they tend to stay with what they know. This creates demand, so you have a lot of people still using Bullseye...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts