Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read in a couple of places that burnishing the bore of a shotgun with 0000 steel wool is a worthwhile thing to do.

Is this true, and if so, what is the correct procedure for doing this? One of the articles mentions using a power drill and rod.

Thanks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I guess if your barrel has significant dirt built up inside you could try this but some barrels are chrome lined and this would either do nothing or wear down the chrome. I have used 3M Scotch brite to clean out filthy chambers before and to clean up plastic wad build up in some choke tubes, using a drill, and a cleaning rod. If you keep a gun reasonable clean I would think any polishing of the barrel is needed. But I can tell you if you look down the barrel of a Mossberg and then look down the barrel of high dollar O/U you will find the mossberg looks likes a rocking highway verses the mirror like finish on the high dollar guns. It all comes down to the ammount of effort placed in the MFG process thus the price of the gun.

I don't think it would hurt to do it but I don't know if you will finds a night a day difference if you do.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
354 Posts
I did this to a used barrel I picked up for my Mossberg 500. It had some minor rust in the bore and I wanted it shiny, so I went to town with 0000 steel wool in a slotted tip on a rod. No drill, though it wouldn't have hurt. Got the rust out, no damage to anything, but I'm not sure I'd do it in the hopes it would somehow improve something.

I guess some part of me wants to believe that a "burnished" bore might somehow slow down the rate at which plastic builds up on the bore walls, but I think that's a stretch. And, as mentioned, there's chrome lined bores to worry about.

-- Sam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.