Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm going to load up a box of 1 1/8 Remington STS's since my new Down Range Man wads got here yesterday. (thank you Kevin)

I'll list the load and then ask the question.
Red Dot, 18.0 grains (out of a number 30 Mec bushing it washes out to 17.9 grains after 10 test shots for calculation)
One Rem 209P (the STS primers)
One DRM Clone of the Fed. 12S3
and 1 1/8 ounce of number 9 shot (since this is all I have at the moment)

The pressure from this load is just a little over 10,000psi. Any problems with shooting that through a modern 12 gauge pump shotgun?

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Junkers 88,
Any 12 ga. load producing a chamber pressure of 11,500 PSI or less, is acceptable for use in any modern firearm in good condition. ( In 2-3/4 and 3 inch shells).

Fact is that you won't find any printed and tested 12 ga. data that excees that pressure level.

DLM

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Modern shotgun barrels are actually proof tested with a charge of 18-20,000 PSI before they are put on the gun. Most modern barrels will withstand 40-50,000 PSI before they actually fail. This does NOT mean that it is ok to regularly shoot those kind of high pressure loads in your gun. That is why the manufacturers say that 11,500 PSI is the max load to be used. Continued use of loads higher than 11,500 PSI can cause barrel failure and are too hard an any gun.

All I am saying is that if you get a shell that is a grain or two over the maximum load it is not likely to hurt the gun or the shooter if it occurs one time. What you do have to watch is that the pressure is not directly proportional to the amount of powder. In other words, if 15 grains of a certain powder in a certain wad-shell-shot combination give 8,000 PSI pressure, 30 grains will be a hell of a lot more than 16,000 PSI. The amount of pressure goes up very quickly with not much more powder. The amount it goes up is determined by the specific powder and the shot weight. Different powders are different so it is always best and safest to stay with the tested loads within the recommended pressures.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Let us know how it loads and shoots.

I would use the Fed 12S3 or DR clone in a Federal Gold Medal or Fed 2 piece hull rather than a Remington STS. The Fed 12S3 wad is designed to fit Federal's straight wall hulls. For the Remington STS tapered hull I prefer the Rem Fig 8 or Win WAA12 wad or one of the clones. These wads are designed for tapered hulls.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have to agree with waverider. Using a wad designed for a tapered hul would be better. You may run into problems seating the wad all the way down to the powder. You may also stretch the shell out far enough, that you might have problems chambering the round.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Junkers 88,

That load is a good one, except for the wad. The wad you are proposing to use, is for straight walled cases, and you are using the STS case which is a tapered wall case.

Just use a proper wad, and your load is fine. I recommend the Rem. Fig 8 wad, or its clone by Down Range the DRRF8, or a WAA12 wad or any of it's clones such as the Blue Duster, or the Down Range XL-1-1/8.

DLM

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for clearing that up guys.

One more thing though. Lymans 5th lists an approved load of 1 1/8oz shot, a Remmy STS, 18.0grains of Red Dot, a Rem209P primer and one Fed 12S3 wad (which the DR3 is a dirrect clone of). If the wad is for striaght walled hulls and the case is a tapered wall why does Lymans recommend the load?

Is there a listing somewhere that shows which wads are for tapered and which are for straight? I've been using the WAA12's for both AA's and STS's, any problems there?

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Junkers88 said:
Thanks for clearing that up guys.

One more thing though. Lymans 5th lists an approved load of 1 1/8oz shot, a Remmy STS, 18.0grains of Red Dot, a Rem209P primer and one Fed 12S3 wad (which the DR3 is a dirrect clone of). If the wad is for straight walled hulls and the case is a tapered wall why does Lymans recommend the load?

Is there a listing somewhere that shows which wads are for tapered and which are for straight? I've been using the WAA12's for both AA's and STS's, any problems there?

Thanks again for all the help.
I don't think that Lyman is recommending the load, but more that they had the components available and tested the load, so published the data. Being that it has been tested you know it can work and is safe. But as stated above may need extra wad pressure, to insure that the wad sits on the powder.

There is no listing that I know of, it is rather simple though. Federal and most European hulls have straight walled hulls so all their wads are for straight walled hulls. Win and Rem target hulls have tapered hulls so all their wads are for tapered hulls. The current Win AA hulls are 2 piece but have a base cup that makes the hull equivalent to a tapered hull. So you using Win WAA12 for AA and STS hulls is correct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts