Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at a neighboring city's Dunhams, and saw that they had one 153 left ($280). Now these were commonplace around here before the Remington/Spartan deal ($270-320 at Ace hardware, 3 local Dunhams, Walmart, 2 gun shops, etc...). Now they are pretty much no where to be found, except this one, though a gunsmith did tell me he could get the 153 for "around $400 if I really wanted one". The lone 153 screaming "buy me" at Dunhams is certainly tempting, although of course I already have one that I adore. The guy at the gun counter said that this would be the last one they would ever sell, and that the days of finding a sub-$300 153 are no more.

Is this true? I had heard that the 153 will still be in production despite the 453...if the 153 is harder to find that is one thing - impossible is another. I thought this would have been covered in a previous thread, but no dice in my searches.

EDIT: just got a call from the gunsmith at Ace - $465 to order the 453, and no more 153's, ever. Geez, maybe I do gotta buy that last 153? Ho ho ho to me.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I might be wrong but my understanding is the 153 will still be in production but Remington has import rights for the US for Baikals. So, the US will only see 453s coming into the country. Whether Remington will still be the importer for Baikals in 10 years?

Sounds like a good price, so I guess if you want another one..it is that time of year!

Jeremiah

·
Registered
362 Posts
ShootSkybusters said:
EDIT: just got a call from the gunsmith at Ace - $465 to order the 453, and no more 153's, ever. Geez, maybe I do gotta buy that last 153? Ho ho ho to me.
The exchange rate due to the falling dollar is going to cause a price increase on all imported goods. If you can get a 153 for less than $300, grab it. The new ones coming in will be selling for a lot more money.

(The boys who love their Italian B guns are going to be crying their eyes out when they see the prices they're going to have to pay for a new B gun.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, you guys talked me into it, though the wife was trying just as hard to talk me out of it. The clincher was that I got another $30 off for this little scratch on the receiver...so $250 was too good to pass up. Thanks to Jeremiah, I've got my original 153 back to its flawless self, so this will be a true back up I guess.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
ShootSkybusters said:
Well, you guys talked me into it, though the wife was trying just as hard to talk me out of it. The clincher was that I got another $30 off for this little scratch on the receiver...so $250 was too good to pass up. Thanks to Jeremiah, I've got my original 153 back to its flawless self, so this will be a true back up I guess.
Heck - I'll give you 300.00 for it. PM me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I will probably just hang on to it for a spell and decide what to do in the offseason...though hunting buddies and shotgunworlders have been tempting me already. Just got an offer for $350. It might end up being a gift for my brother in the end. Man, I didn't appreciate just how few remnent 153's are out there these days, and how some folks prefer having the Baikal name vs. Remington.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have been out of hunting for 30 years but starting back up. Almost bought a new 453 but WalMart ran out. Went to one of the best local gun shops and found a used 153 for $200.00. Has wood stocks, no rust, etc, and modified choke and looks great.

Am leery of the "as is no refund/no exchange" policy but would really rather have this gun with the natural wood, etc.

Anybody have any thoughts about this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.