Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM LOOKING AT A BUYING A MOSSBERG 845 FOR DUCK AND TURKEY HUNTING. DONT REALLY KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE MOSSBERG SHOTGUNS AND WANTED TO FIND OUT IF ITS A GOOD UN FOR WHAT I WANT TO DO WITH IT. I HAVE SHOT REM. 870 AND 1100 AND THEY ARE REALY GOOD GUNS BUT IM NOT LOOKING TO PUT BUT ABOUT $300-$400 IN IT. SO CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THEY THINK ABOUT THE MOSSY

·
Registered
222 Posts
All Mossberg models made within the past 25-30 years are reliable. I have seen some pitiful specimens from the early years, expecially among the 22 rifles. The old reliable 500 has been a good one from day one. I am thinking that all the other shotguns are derivatives of the 500, except for the new semiautos. According to what I have read, the 930 is a good catch.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Remington 870 Express is in your price range. I have both an 870 and a Mossberg 500,fixed choke, (actually it's my son's). I've used both (870 for almost 20 years) and like the 870 better. It has less recoil, is a bit heavier and the loading port is closed. I always feel I'm going to break the Mossberg.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
It boils down to what you like the best. An 870 Express could easily fit the bill as much as a mossy. I'm more fond of the 870 myself, but I had a friend that couldn't stand the 870 and even presented with a brand new wingmaster he traded it for a new 500 and a 600 jr loader. :shock: Go to the store handle them both side by side make a decision.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have the mossberg 835 love the gun to death. I have put so many steel rounds through it that over the last couple of years that i think i have put it through a pretty decent field test. I love the overbored barrel makes out for some great patterns with large shot like BBB for geese. I like having 3 1/2 inch capability. Only had one jam in my entire life and that was my fault anyway. It's not a gun i would want to take for a grouse hunt but it works great for sitting in a blind or calling in a big gobbler. It will kick hard and im not lying. This is nothing new because all pumps with magnum loads are going to kick no matter what you do to them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Think those Italians are onto something, get a SuperNova.

1. 3.5" chambers
2. Recoil pad is the same as the SBE II
3. Easy to clean
4. Most reliable gun, I've ever read about
5. Long lasting

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
For what you say your going to use the gun for, the Mossy should be just fine. Looks like you want a reliable beater and either that or the 870 will work. There are more gadgets and doodads available for the 870 if that matters.

tex... read some more on Novas

1. 3.5" chambers... So?
2. Recoil pad is the same as the SBE II... So?
3. Easy to clean... Yes, you will save one minute cleaning.
4. Most reliable gun, I've ever read about... Hardly true, they jam, they're finicky cyclers.
5. Long lasting... School's out on this, as they are relatively new guns that have yet to stand the test of time.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Tex,

Thanks for the advice, but it's not me who's all wet. Even if I did jump in a lake, nothing would change with the Nova. It still comes in about 7th in a seven horse race. I am happy for you if you are pleased with your version of a Clingon Disruptor. Enjoy it and have a Merry Christmas.

M12
M31
M37
Mossy
M97
Nova

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good Ole, SS, you gotta love 'em!!! But, SS, you do know what they say about OPINIONS, right???

You like Mossberg, I like Benelli!!! I don't necesarily dislike Mossberg, I'm just Benelli/Beretta guy, and I just don't see how you could think the SuperNova is inferior to any pump action Mossberg.

Let's go styling, first, the Benelli has one of the most modern looks around, the ComforTech stock (Chevron) and recoil pad is a very cool feature (which helps reduce felt recoil significantly), the tapered rib, Camo pattern (to me) looks a ton better, the forearm was well thoughtout, it kind of hides the Supernova from looking like a Pump model (this feature, IMO, makes the action of SuperNova more desirable, as it less time to shoot and reload, the forearm is quite a bit shorter than the Mossberg). I guess the only thing I can find that's positive with the Mossberg, is the weight which is .75 lbs lighter than the SuperNova. This is pretty significant, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable shooting a 3.5" shell out of a Benelli over a Mossberg any day, now would I do it, probably not.

I know of at least 3 guys whom aren't particularly happy with their Mossberg, they were beginners to the sport, we were going dove hunting, they needed some guns and Mossberg turned out to be the cheapest, and no I can't site the guns they had. One complained about the action, the other complained loading the shells in the magazine, and other just didn't like it. Bottom line is they were Mossbergs.

Every gunsmith/sporting goods store guy swears by Benelli. I asked them straight up, "what pump action shotgun is best for waterfowling", every person said Benelli. I've even asked one of the pros out at my gun club, which pump is a better choice, he said Benelli and doesn't shoot a Benelli, I believe he shoots a Browning or something.

To each his own!!! Good night now!!!

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Thank you SS for the referance of the Klingon Disruptor. That was funny to a treky.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, perms, billjonkies, sippytimmies, ragshockies, blarnstuddards!!! SS rules!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.