Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,640 Posts
i'm guessing that you live in texas and that you don't want to pay state sales tax for an internet purchase within the state. thus, you are willing to have your gun shipped to a dealer in new mexico, oklahoma or louisiana to save a few bucks. unless you live on the state line, it's not worth your time. otherwise, just shop for the nearest guy over the boarder with the cheapest transfer fee. just for fun, check and make sure what i just said is legal. i'm bad about that - bad advice

·
Registered
475 Posts
You need to take a trip up to Montana this spring or summer--get in some good fly fishing, check out some great scenery, and buy what you want "tax free". You can guy long guns there with no problems--as an out of stater, you cannot buy handguns there. While you are there, you can pick up a lot of ammo, clothing, etc.. The larger stores there are Sportsman's Warehouse, Bob Ward & Sons sports, Sportsman's Surplus, Sports Authority, and even Wally World has ammo and some guns in most stores there.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Buying guns that way is a tax loophole. Everyone does it, especially on expensive guns. You could probably get a better answer on a dealer you are looking for if you posted what kind of a gun you plan to buy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Let's say the Texas tax rate is 8% (cause it is at my FFL)
Buy a 1000 gun locally = 80 in taxes.

Buy the same gun out of state, 1000 + 25 transfer from shipper +25 for local FFL = Save $30 over local purchase.
Not worth it (shipping time, scheduling pickup at FFL vs. walk out of store)

Buy a $2500 gun and save $150 (now we're getting into some savings)

So the main thing for out of state purchase is to beat local sales price and then its win-win.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Double D I have allways wanted to go to Montana and will someday.It's hard to believe that there is no sales tax there but if that is the case,all the more reason to go. SS right now I'm looking for Binelli dealer but hopefully in the near future I will be looking for a CG dealer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
bhutch0468: When in Montana, I buy all the large-ticket items I can afford/carry due to the lack of salestax. However, when it comes to purchasing firearms in person out-of-state, not only are handgun sales prohibited (as stated by a previous poster) but it's my understanding that even long guns can only be purchased in contigent (bordering) states. This was pointed out to me when I (as an Ohio resident) tried to purchase a Browning BPS at a Bass Pro Shop while visiting my daughters in NC. I ended up buying the BPS from the Bass Pro Shop in MI (a state rubbing against Ohio!).

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
From ATF FAQ

"A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides."

·
Registered
174 Posts
Customstox: That's interesting. Other than the NC Bass Pro sales person being misinformed re his "contingent state" scenario, I wonder why he would refuse to sell me (an Ohio resident) a shotgun? I did a cursory check with the laws re firearm sales in both NC and OH and could find no major disparities between the two.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Could be that the larger chains have a policy of only selling to residents of the state the store is in. Otherwise the sales staff would have to know gun laws for every state, maybe even local laws as well. It might be more trouble than its worth. Think about the can of worms that would be opened up if a chain store either knowingly or unknowingly violated another state's law.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Here in California you cannot buy a gun from a neighboring state. All purchases (in state and out of state) has to be shipped in to a local FFL where the paperwork is completed and DROS submitted. We have a waiting period here also, 10 day wait from the time the DROS is submitted.

As far as a tax loophole from buying out of state, your FFL or the company you purchase from may not charge you taxes on your purchase, but you are still responsible for all taxes, state/local and federal.

If your ever audited or Uncle Sam/Cousin Cled finds you haven't been honest and are holding out their money you might end up in Bobshouse...also known as the big house.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The big chain stores quite often, won't sell to anyone except that state's residents as well as those from neighboring states as a store policy. Reasoning was as mentioned earlier, minimum wage clerks being responsible for BP or whoever keeping their FFL and knowing every state's laws regarding firearm purchases.

You CAN PURCHASE a handgun out of state, you just have to take delivery of it in your HOME state.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.