Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Cabela's cardholder I get deals mailed to me from time to time. The most recent seemed pretty sweet to me...

$30-$100 off based on purchase size ($100-$500).
+
$40 for every person I can sign up for a Cabelas card. (I've got 4 so far - max is 5).

So here's my dilemma - I want to get a new shotgun, but need some opinions. I only recently started shooting clays. I have a Remington 1100. I want a second shotgun so that I can take friends out to shoot with me.

Question #1: Is a pump gun acceptable for clays?
Question #2: If not, what is my best semi-auto option?

Constraint #1:
As a rule, I try to buy a Connecticut-made gun if it is a good option, USA made 2nd. Unfortunately, Cabela's in CT doesn't carry Mossberg 930's. When I bought my 1100, I had tried to purchase a 930 first. The store only had 1, and it had a cracked stock. So far Mossberg has lost 2 sales from me by simply not stocking the retailers in its home state!! :(

Constraint #2:
I am a broke grad student and need to spend as little as possible. The discount saves a significant amount, but I need to minimize the cost. I made a spreadsheet w/the $$$ here: http://www.fishiz.com/images/chris/docs ... avings.xls

Constraint #3:
What does Cabelas have? For semi-autos, they had:
Stoeger 2000, $399.
Tristar (???), $399.
Remington 1187 Syn $549 (I think sale ends today).
A franchi and another 1187 for $630.

I didn't look at pumps, but I really didn't want to spend more than 450 before-discounts (the price of a 930). So I know they have 500's and 870's for far less than that.

What do you think? Should I spring for the 1187? Give up on USA-made and get the Stoeger? Or add a pump gun to my collection, and punish the shoulders of all who choose to join me in a round of Trap or Skeet?

All opinions welcome. THANKS!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok.

I did.

1187 Sportsman
26" vr barrel, single bead, matte black / synthetic, mod remchoke.

$550 on the price tag.
$312 after my discounts.

Not too shabby... a little more than I wanted to spend right now but I'm sure it'll be worth it. My 1100 is a Classic Trap, so the 26" vs the 30" barrel is a difference. The 1187 is a little easier to swing around.... other than that they seem pretty similar. When I'm not with friends I will use this one for skeet and the 1100 for trap.

Here's a question - my 1100 trap has "singles, mid-handicap, and hi-handicap remchokes. I'm thinking the shorter barrel on the 1187 will make it not so great for trap. But if I pop in one of the tighter chokes (the mid or hi handicap) would the pattern be basically equivalent to the 1100 with the singles choke?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
A pump gun is a excellent choice for a clays gun some of the best clay shooters in the world use a pump gun. With shells that you use for clays we are talking about low recoil and follow up shots are easy. A Remington 870 would make a great choice for what you want to do. It is made in the U.S.A. Ilion, Ny to be exact. It will fit in a very tight budget and you have plenty of options as for as accesories and parts go.

·
Registered
380 Posts
No. The barrel length will have almost no effect on the pattern. I'm not sure what those choke designations mean in terms of actual constriction, but the same choke using the same load should pattern pretty much the same out of two different barrel lengths. I'm guessing the singles choke corresponds to a Mod (.020), the mid-handicap to an Imp. Mod. (.025), and the hi-handicap to Full (.030). If you are going to shoot much skeet I would recommend picking up a more open choke: Cyl (.000), Skeet (.005), or Imp. Cyl. (.010).

Hit the pattern board with those chokes and figure out exactly what each choke, barrel/gun, and load is throwing though. You may find that the patterns do not correspond to the markings, that particular shells do better than others, or that your 1100 shoots higher than your 1187 because of stock differences.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stobes21 said:
No. The barrel length will have almost no effect on the pattern...
Very interesting post stobes, thanks. I will have to figure out where to pattern my guns. I don't believe the trap/skeet field has an area for that.

I will ask around.

John Pass - thanks for the insight. I should have posted this yesterday instead to give a little more time for comment. I think the 1187 was the right choice though. I'm sure I'll get a pump at some point in the future. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.