Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have experience, good or bad, with the Cabela's Gun Library in Fort Worth? Have you sold, traded or bought anything from them. Are the Library employees knowlegable and give good advice? They always seem to have a good selection of used guns in their inventory. Are they firm on their pricing and are they fair on appraising your guns? How are they compared to Bass Pro Shops Fine Gun Room? Please give your input.

Winchoke

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Their prices seem a bit steep to me.

Of course, when they have something for $3000 that I got for $800, I'm sure to point it out to Mrs. Slim that I'm a clever "investor".

·
Registered
296 Posts
arend003 said:
NOt Texas but I did buy a gun from the Gun Libray in Rogers MN Cabelas. The emplyee seemed knowledgeable and the price could be worked with a bit .. Although I amsure it is different in each Cabelas store
So they are flexible in the pricing?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Did a trade and they were very willing to negociate.

You need to know what you are talking about as they do know the current market conditions well. Listed prices are very high.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Bought a relatively rare Winchester M94 Rifle (not a carbine) some years back in Owatonna, MN. I didn't get screwed on it, but they sure didn't give it away; I did talk them down $100. All in all, a reasonable deal, I guess. Their "Gun Library" employees know their stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
My experience with Cabela's is limited to our Utah store here, but it seems to conform well with others' experiences around the country. The list prices are high, they're not very flexible on price, and you will not get much for your trade in. On the upside, I've found the Gun Library staff to be very knowledgeable about their products (not necessarily the case with the regular firearms guys/gals) and they definitely are well informed about market conditions.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have bought three guns from the E. Hartford, CT store (only open a few months). Here is what I've learned:

The staff are knowledgeable, the paperwork is horrendous, it took three hours the first time, and the selection of guns is the best in the area.

Prices are negotiable, especiallyif you are trading in, and I actually made money on two of the guns I traded in (RRL's, they seem to love them). I always figure on losing $ when trading in as opposed to selling outright privately. I traded a rifle in as well and they almost matched my original purchase price.

All guns were shipped in from other Cabelas, two had issues that were not "described" on their listing on the website. One had a hair line crack at the stock wrist (in the checkering and I didn't notice until later) and another had faulty fitting of the barrells to the water table which led to some issues with the bottom plate upon firing.

Cabela's took both of these guns back no questions asked, and I used the combined credit (they offered me cash too) to buy one of the Aya 4/53's in 20 ga ($3500) and the rest of the cash they did give me back to Christmas shop.

No complaints other than the lack of disclosure of the cracked wrist, which after noticing it was fairly obvious, it came in fromt he Boise store.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The Cabelas Gun library is magnificent.

The photos are second to none.
Really well done.

The staff is well informed over all.

Trading-in is always, financially, the least desirable move.
You will always do better selling it on your own.

Their stock is significantly larger than what is listed.
They only show maybe half of their stock.
For intance, if they show one Merkel
they may have 4 in stock not listed.
They claim the large photos demand too much memory on their server.
But it pays to call the different locations if you are interested to a similar gun not listed.

Roger.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Roger is correct about the trade ins, but compared to what other gun shops here in CT offer I found Cabelas to be great with their trade in compensation. SOmetimes the hassle isn't worth the private sale, I'm in law enforcement and would rather not take the chance on selling to someone who is not legally authorized to own a firearm.

In my line of work I notice that Lots of bad folks get their weapons via private sales.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I've purchased two guns, both were negotiable (about 10%) and both guns were as described. My only concern would be over the way they pack the guns - pretty quick and sloppy, leaving the gun less than ideally protected. Overall good deals and I would not hesitate to do it again (as a buyer).

·
Registered
134 Posts
I went to the Ft Worth location yesterday and checked it out. I can say the guns were impressive. I wasn't impressed by the upkeep of the Gun Library. All the cabinets were dusty and the guns were not seated in their respective holders properly. Some of the guns seemed like they had been handled and returned to the cabinets haphazardly. Attention to detail seems to be lacking. There was even fingerprints on the cabinet's glass doors. If Cabela's is trying to showcase high end guns you would think the gun library would be immaculate so the customers would be impressed right away. The fact that the sales staff doesn't clean the dust from the cabinets suggests they probably don't even give these high dollar guns a wipe down.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Gentlemen, one thing I have learned in my nearly 70 years on this planet: Never, ever, think that the tag price is what the store expects to get. As stated earlier, everything is negotiable. I start my haggling at much less than the tag price and we meet somewhere, but never near the tag price. At stores like Cabelas, you can walk if they don't haggle. To me, it is the fun part of buying. The gun inventory is money and if they can get this money moving, it is to their advantage. I remind the gun manager of this. It works, especially if you have been eyeballing a particular gun for a few months. Make your offer and remind the manager, not the clerk, that this gun has been in inventory for quite some time and you'll take it off his hands if they will cut you a deal. A good manager will sell you the gun.

My theory: Never pay anywhere close to the tag price on a used gun. You can get it for much less if you ask the right person, the manager of the gun department. It is to their advantage to keep the inventory turning, even if he has to break even on some of the stock.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Just looking online, I've never seen anything that just seemed to me to be an amazing deal, but I've never tried to haggle on a price in a store. I looked at some guns in the room in Buda, TX last year and was very impressed with what they had. Much more impressive, to me, was the staff that would let a 14 year old pick up every used gun on the rack.

BT

·
Registered
894 Posts
ev; Would it be reasonable to assume starting the negotiation at 20% below tagged price and getting 10% is acceptable?

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
At a gun dealers, you are right on target. However, in a pawn shop, start at 50% of the tag price. The gun dealers have more money in their stock than pawn shops.

Pawn shops serve a good purpose. Not knocking them, but they are usually getting merchandise from desperate customers that really need cash. They must then hold the stock for a period of time before they can put it on sale. When it hits the racks, they want it gone. At least, good shops that stay in business and prosper, will do whatever it takes to keep the inventory rolling. Guns on the shelf is money sleeping. A 50% offer is a good starting point. Never over 75% of tag price.

Cabela's and other used gun dealers usually have from 65-70% in their used inventory. So you are on point with these type stores.

Don't ever pay anywhere close to tag price on a used gun. It ain't necessary. Used gun dealers are used to haggling. It is the fun part of buying a used gun. Don't be bashful. Just be sure that you are talking to someone with the authority to haggle. Clerks are not the people to haggle with. Ask for the manager. You win, they move the inventroy, thus they win, also. Never, ever think that the tag price is what you are expected to pay. Stores that don't haggle over used merchandise don't stay around long. Inventory on the shelves represents money that can be used for other purposes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cabelas is like a car dealer in that they make way more on used stock than new. The less they give you for trade the more they make. Even better for them are consignments, increased stock without capital investment. Their probably used to high margins and fast turnover of late but the way the economy has been going they should rethink that to keep the current stock fresh. So you've got to know what your trade is worth, what your willing to lose on it and how much your willing to pay. If their counter offer seems one sided, (remember they have to make something), walk out and dont look back.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
+1 for sharp21. Great thinking.

The business has to make a profit. I also need to save as much as I can. Volume is what counts in a business. That is why haggling is important. It keeps the stock moving and saves you quite a bit. The store is going to make some money out of the deal to keep the lights on and pay the expenses. It is amazing how a business can prosper with fast turning inventory in used merchandise. You will return there when you want another gun if you are treated fairly.

The tag price on used items is only a guide. Remember that and you will save a lot of money and the store you buy from will make money by turning inventory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts