·
Registered
5,516 Posts
The one I've dealt with sold them 'as is.'

Reactions: tdyoung58

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
My experience is they are sold as is. In fact, whatever accessories they came in with are included in the subsequent sale. I bought an XS skeet online. The photos showed a Browning leather case with the gun. I knew I wouldn't use the case and tried to buy the gun without the case. No way. It came in with the gun and it was going out with it.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
They are sold "as is". I bought two used AyA No 2's from Cabela's was bought by Bass Pro. I am familiar with double guns and was able to evaluate that they were in good condition.

Given the changes since Bass Pro bought them I would now hesitate to buy a used gun from them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had decent luck there, when I am able to see the gun in person. I got my current 10-ga there, with the extra 24" slug barrel in addition to the 30" goose barrel. Mirror bores and works as expected.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate everyone's responses, it's what I thought. The only used gun I've bought was from my small-town FFL who goes through them completely.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
The situation is not unique to Cabelas as the majority of used gun sellers do not perform basic maintenance and cleaning of the inventory they sell. Can you imagine going to a car dealer and buying a used car in the condition it was traded in without even the basics of a wash and vacuum?

·
Banned
330 Posts
A word of advice when dealing with Cabala's Gun Library: If possible, especially if the item is pricy, go to the location to inspect it. At the very least, ask for additional photographs that show different angles in different light. The photographer at the Hamburg, PA. location is very skilled at minimalizing, or rendering nearly invisible, scratches in metal which are plain as day when viewed in person. As far as I know, Cabela's/Bass Pro does not employ gunsmiths and knows better than pretending they do.

·
Registered
984 Posts
As-is. Pro tip: Sometimes, you can negotiate with them. They generally have at least 5% of wiggle room since they offer a 5% discount to military/law enforcement folks. Sometimes, they'll knock off more, especially if it's something that's been sitting around for a while. At times, I've been able to talk them down as much as about 15% on certain guns. I've had some pretty good luck with the Gun Library guns I've picked up.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Gentlemen,

Long ago Cabalas was a decent place to purchase both new and used guns, unfortunately those days are long gone. When the Zabala 28 gauge L.C. Smith made for Marlin 1st hit the market I purchased one for very reasonable money from Cabelas. It had a few scratches on the stock, even then it seem like the new guns were damaged slightly before you got them. The used guns were most all sold as is, and I never touched one because of their company policy.
Now that Bass Pro owns Cabelas, both stores are a pain to even deal with, limiting what credit cards you can use, is no way to run a decent sporting good business. When shopping for a classic American or Euro double gun, I look on GI and negate the Cabelas/Bass Pro listings.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I used to be a frequent, monthly at least, buyer at Cabelas, pre BP. I bought some gun library guns and thought I got a reasonable buy. If you ask, they had a little room on price.
Sinice BP bought them I rarely go to Cabelas and it’s been a year plus since I was in their stores, and doubt I’ll ever go back.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've bought three or four guns from the Cabela's Gun Library. One of these involved a trade. I was happy every time, but it's been now been several years since I've bought a gun there.

That said, Cabela's has been in a tailspin since the BP deal. The quality of their offerings has diminished, whether it be in guns, fly fishing gear, or clothing. The employees that I'd gotten to know have acknowledged this; many have left. I was a pretty regular customer and ran a lot of money through their credit card. Three years ago I stopped using it at all. I held it until I could run the points down to zero, then cancelled it. It's been a very sad decline.

·
Registered
Too many
784 Posts
Definitely not ! I bought a Dickinson 28 gauge when they came out. The barrel regulation was horrific !!! Dickinson replaced the gun. The replacement lost all its wood finish after two days in upstate NY. I wasn’t even raining, just drizzly and damp. Dickinson told me they’d refinish it. I said no way, took it back to Cabelas and they tried to give me trade in value for it so I went to the store manager and ended up with a full refund. Two weeks later I went back and that same gun was in the case with the new Dickinsons a with a new tag on it priced the same as the rest. You’d think they’d have rubbed some linseed oil on it or something.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do the guns in Cabela's gun library get any sort of reconditioning or are they sold as-is?
Had a bad Cabela's experience once--salesman "inferred" the rifle had been tested....when I got home, no firing pin. My bad for not ensuring a solid answer. Luckily I was able to find the replacement for the 1930's era rimfire. So IRT your Q, I go with AS-IS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.