Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am considering looking into a c.g. impact for sporting clays . due to a severe neck injury I thought a more heads up might work better . curious to know if any one uses the impact for sporting clays .
do you have any problems shooting a higher rib at sporting ?

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I know several sporting shots using Impacts. Whilst I'm not convinced they actually do get a more 'heads up' stance, they all seem to like them and stick with them. The main benefits seem to be better visibility and less muzzle flip due to the geometry of a high rib/high stock.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
I have not tried one of the Impact models, but I did try a Sporting (flat rib) and an Ascent (mid rib).
While the basic measurements are the same with both guns, I did find the Ascent model to be MUCH more comfortable to shoot, and the view was improved. The Impact models may offer even better views.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what trickster brought up is what I'm interested in when he said it reduces muzzle flip . I can take recoil to the shoulder but three ruptured discs in the neck doesn't tolerate the face being pushed up and back with muzzle flip.
I hope to try one sometime .
thanks for the info , dan

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
"Un-guns" with the top barrel of an o/u replaced with a rib, offer no more aid in achieving an upright head and neck posture than do other guns.

Other high rib guns may offer a slightly more upright posture when their stocks do not angle down from the receiver as much as the stocks of low rib guns.

If all you are seeking is an upright posture to avoid leaning your neck forward and lowering your cheek to the comb, you can probably achieve it with the installation of a pad adjuster.

Pad adjusters allow the whole recoil pad to be lowered. With the gun mounted as usual, the comb is higher relative to the eyes, which allows a more upright neck and head posture (no more shooting with your eyes looking up to compensate for a forward neck lean and your head tilted back to see along the rib).

Keep in mind however, that the slightly reduced stock angle relative to the receiver and the resulting improvement of your head/neck posture is only one of the claimed benefits of high rub guns.

Others include reduced bothersome heat waves from a hot barrel (which disappear as soon as swings begin) and a claimed better view of targets because of the distance between the rib and the barrel.

Non-traditionalists may also claim they are cool looking (... eyes of the beholder / whatever works for you).

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
If you suffer from eye dominance shift issues like I do, a high rib gun makes it easier to eliminate crutches like eye patches or squinting the off eye because the barrels are further down and out of sight.

When there are no barrels to draw my left eye's attention, my left eye has nothing to see and my right eye continues to dominate.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Sobrepuesta said:
If you suffer from eye dominance shift issues like I do, a high rib gun makes it easier to eliminate crutches like eye patches or squinting the off eye because the barrels are further down and out of sight.

When there are no barrels to draw my left eye's attention, my left eye has nothing to see and my right eye continues to dominate.
This is quite true. The less clutter there is in the field of vision the less the problem with cross dominance or "off" eye takeover.

As for the muzzle flip point: Lowering the barrel axis relative to the shoulder pocket fulcrum means less upward motion of the barrels under recoil. There is a French Olympic trap shooter with a rib about 5" high so that the line of the barrel axis runs straight back into his shoulder resulting in no muzzle flip at all.

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
Trickster said:
Sobrepuesta said:
As for the muzzle flip point: Lowering the barrel axis relative to the shoulder pocket fulcrum means less upward motion of the barrels under recoil. There is a French Olympic trap shooter with a rib about 5" high so that the line of the barrel axis runs straight back into his shoulder resulting in no muzzle flip at all.
That's the main reason why the AR-15 and bolt action rifles designed similarly (Ruger RPR) have so much less recoil rise than rifles of the same caliber with conventional stocks.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I have a Caesar Guerini Hi Rib, Summit Impact Type S Skeet Set, a K-80 Pro-Skeet (I.E. High Rib) a CG Summit Limited, low rib as well as a Browning Citori low rib and miss targets equally well with all of them.

Bob

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rkittine said:
I have a Caesar Guerini Hi Rib, Summit Impact Type S Skeet Set, a K-80 Pro-Skeet (I.E. High Rib) a CG Summit Limited, low rib as well as a Browning Citori low rib and miss targets equally well with all of them.

Bob
I am glad that you show no bias nor favoritism to any brand that you are shooting and missing with ! :lol:
trickster really hit it with the barrel flip .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.