Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved to California from Kansas and have two shotguns that are not registered in California. One of them was brought when I moved, the other was bought by my father on an uncles estate sale in Kansas. (There you can buy them on estate sales and auctions and take them the same day.) My father then gave it to me. The first shotgun I bought about 20 yrs ago from a gun shop in Kansas and am pretty sure it was registered there at the time.
My question is, can I take them somewhere to have them registered in California?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Are you saying your father knowingly transferred a firearm to a person that does not reside in his state of residence?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
WingMaster said:
Are you saying your father knowingly transferred a firearm to a person that does not reside in his state of residence?
i don't see a problem with that, as long as you aren't selling it to a known felon, serial numbers are intact, and isn't something like a class 3 firearm.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You do not need to register any firearm you bring into California. The only firearm registration requirement for out of state weapons was for assault weapons. Then the law changed again and any importation or private party transfer of assault weapons was banned,period. The only requirement in California for longguns and handguns is sales within the state. This requires private party transfers of ownership. Technically it is a background check, not a registration. Also, there is no requirement to do private party transfers to family members. The exact definition of "family members" I am not sure of but father to son does not require transfer.

·
Registered
331 Posts
TexasTon said:
WingMaster said:
i don't see a problem with that, as long as you aren't selling it to a known felon, serial numbers are intact, and isn't something like a class 3 firearm.
When I read it, I took it to mean the gun had been bought and given to him before he moved.
I could be wrong but thats how I read it.

Michael Grace

·
Registered
230 Posts
DeGriz said:
Heres a link To the Cali DOJ Firearms Division.

There is a form you can print out.
Registration is "voluntary" for long guns @ $19.00 per gun.

You Decide. :roll:

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html
Only Handguns need to be registered!

Firearms Information for New California Residents
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/ab991.htm

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES (Not including assault weapons as defined by California Law.)
California law does not require persons moving into California report rifles or shotguns. One important thing to be aware of though is that certain rifles and shotguns may be defined as assault weapons in California and are prohibited from entering this state under most normal circumstances. Additionally, machine guns and ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept greater that 10 rounds may not be transported into California. For further information regarding what is defined as an assault weapon in California please click here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's probably safe to assume that almost everything you do in California involving guns, God or common sense is or soon will be against the law. It's for the children, doncha know...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Hey there bobdog,

So...How is the weather in Fargo today anyway. :wink:

S/B 75 here today 8)

Go SEAHAWKS!!!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Dasundg, since nobody else has said it..I will...."Well Toto, it looks like we're not in Kansas anymore!" Only problem is, California has no golden brick roads, only tar, with tons of potholes. What in the heck made you move here, I've been trying to get out for years!

But to answer your question, as long as you didnt bring handguns into the state you should be fine. Hopefully, you did not move to the San Francisco Area because those idiots up there voted to turn their guns in. Was supposed to happen January 1, but has been moved back to March.

Welcome to California, or as some spell it, Kalifornia. Its home for a lot of us, and we have to make it the best we can....till we can afford to move... :D

Bob

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
we have to make it the best we can....till we can afford to move
after frequent drives on i-40---for several years----i'm surprised there isn't a huge sucking sound coming from ca---about 2/10 on the road are either cars/pickups loaded to the gills---or u-hauls pulling cars/pickups----with ca tags.

·
Registered
335 Posts
kt57, i bought three shotguns for christmas and gave one to my wife, one to my brother in law, and one to my best friend. i went to the web site DOJ. so do i need to do a back ground check on any of the poeple i gave the guns too?what does that cost and how so i go about?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I recommend this book (The California Gun Owners Guide):

You can buy it here:

http://www.gunlaws.com/cgog.htm

I have the Virginia version and it's a good book to own, especially if you are new to the state.

Casual Shooter

·
Registered
143 Posts
Marine One, Not required for your wife. Brother in-law probably. Best friend definitely. This is for California. Other states will differ.

·
Registered
143 Posts
marine one,
any ffl dealer can do it. It is called a private party transfer. I believe the fees for long guns are about $25. The dealer may also have an additional fee to handle the paper work. Turners Outdoorsman charges $5.00, if you happen to be in Southern Cal. Semper Fi by the way!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts