Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my new Browning 525 about a month ago. I love this gun! I use it mainly for ducks and will use it this comeing turkey season. It has also already been used for dove and quail. My question is, would I be crazy to have this gun camo dipped? Or is there a better solution to tone down the glare? I did like the camo on my old Nova as it offered some salt water protection which is a big concern of mine. Any ideas will be appreciated! :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Its your gun you can do what you like. However I would not cammo it, or talk it in a salty marsh. Use your benelli for such hunts or go out and buy a 870.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
You wanna WHAT? Ma, bring me the spanking stick! :shock:

BP

·
Registered
335 Posts
They make camo tape and chap covers for fine rifles and shotguns don't they...this would be the way I would do it instead of permenently changing a beautiful shotgun like yours...but..It is yours and you can do with it as you see fit...

Mac

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, i thought I might have gone a little crazy! The tape might be the way to go for those turkey since I can remove it. Not to worried about the ducks seeing it. Guess I should be beat for even thinking of doing such a thing like that! LOL. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Brownings are made to be hunted with.

CAMO THAT THING!!!!

This isn't some nancyboy Beretta it's a BROWNING.

Unless the wood is just spectacular, CAMO IT!!!!

http://www.bellandcarlson.com

Click on Creative Effects

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Cabelas' also has some similar gun camo products in their waterfowl catalog. Don't know anything about them but they caught my eye and I thought I'd tell you about it. Seems like the way to go if you want to camo a gun that you might not want to camo? :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! It is my only shotgun, for the time being, so I guess I have to decide on permanent camo or removeable. I would not do the wood only the metal. Think the removeable would be the way to go! Might save me from getting my butt kicked from those thinking it is to pretty a gun to deface like that! LOL. Will check out those sites. Thanks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Liljake,

I use a Ruger Red Label to hunt ducks with and tried camo tape. Although it goes on nice and stays on or the season, it can trap moisture between the tape and the gun and cause rust. The net result is I have a couple of streaks on my barrels without bluing. To fix this I have opted for spray painting the barrels with flat black BBQ pit paint. I learned many years ago that a shiny barrel being moved around in a blind will flare birds big time. By using the spray paint you can remove the paint from the barrels at the end of the season with some paint thinner and your back to the original finish to the balance of the year. Me , I just leave it on there and every other year strip and repaint the barrels. But this solution works good. The wood is left natural, the reciever in left untouched and the barrel is the only thing you paint. I carefully tape off the areas of the barrel that I do not need painted and then place the barrels muzzle end down on my "painting board". The painting board is a 2 ft square of plywood with a 20 Ga hull deprimed and then screwed in the center of the board. It will hold the barrel upright so you can paint all around and not have to plug the barrel to keep paint out for the muzzle. The reciever end is masked off with tape to cover the chambers, ejectors and other parts not needing paint. Total process takes about 2 hours to carefully tape the barrels and then paint several light coats of paint. Repeated light coats gives the best finish , even and flat. Heavy coats will tend to be less flat and could risk runs in the paint. You can camo paint over this base coat with other colors of flat paint, but I have not found the need to do this.

Total cost is far less then the cost for most camo tape and far less then the cost to have the gun dipped. Flat black BBQ paint cost about $5 a can and you can do two O/U barrel sets with a single can of paint. Works good, cost is cheap, does not damage the gun finish, and you can do it yur self.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Tough decission. You know they're made to be used. Problem with dipping an O/U is the resale value goes into the crapper. There's not that much demand for camo O/U's. Tell you the truth, I'd hunt the gun as it is or buy another O/U that had a matt finish. Something like an SKB WaterFowler, Classic Doubles Waterfowler, 686 Essential, or Camo 425.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It's your gun do what you want, BUT why on earth do you want to camo it, looks?
If camo on a shotgun actually had any benefit I might understand, but short of some kind of aesthetic boost for the owner, camo has no value on any gun, no matter what anyone says (unless you just want to make it harder for you to find the gun).

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
You have a 525 are you crazy to camo it. :cry:
By the time a duck or and bird see's the gun you had shot it any way. If you must put camo on it go with tape, at lees it will come off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts