Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm an Oklahoman moving to California. Bakersfield specifically, and I know there are several national forests nearby. Anyone have any tips on where to go camping / hiking / federal land hunting near there? Within a 0-3 hour drive?

· Registered
10 Posts
I am in Bakersfield and there are quite a few choices in the 3 hr area. Sequoia National Forest is NE of Bakersfield and includes the Lake Isabella area. The lake is about an hr away and will offer some decent blue gill, crappie and bass fishing however the lake is really low.

Los Padres NF is to our south and west. Also about an hour or so drive. I have not spent much time there but have heard some good things about it. If you need any more info send me an email to [email protected]

· Registered
62 Posts
Im in Bakersfield as well. First thing to do when you have free time is go for a drive on 178 going East. Go past Lake Isabella and past Kernville. As Ken mentioned this is in t he Sequoia National Forest area. I like Peppermint creek.

You can also go up towards Frazier Park area which is 45min North of Bakersfield.

Pismo Beach is 2.5 hours West.

Yosemite is only 4 hours away as well.

Many options...Big Bear is another. Bakersfield in itself isn't all that great but it is within driving distance of many places.

Edit: Just saw how old this is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.