Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've often heard in this Forum and elsewhere, that if you have an old shotgun you can take it to a gunsmith and they can determine whether or not the barrels can take steel shot.

But I've also heard that this would be a "best guess" and wouldn't be absolute.

Someone told me that the real test would be to take metal samples to determine hardness, and few, if any, gunsmiths could really do that.

So can a good smith really answer the steel shot question? If so, what methods do they use to figure it out?

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my opinion I see to it as like if the barrel was produced from the factory say bout 5 years before steel shot came into play or even longer I say it wouldnt be safe. It prolly would shoot it but yas know steel shot is heavy loads and very hot. Could warp and possibly split the barrel or worse. Then again yas have to realize that they jsut didnt decide to change the barrel manufacturing cause of steel shot. They could have had a heavier barrel made priar to the steel shot premering on the wetlands. Just dont know. Its more of a guess to the sooner the barrel was made priar to the production of steel shot

Just my .02$

Jamie

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, I agree with you...

But I guess what I'm wondering is can a competent gunsmith tell you for certain, whether or not it can handle the steel loads?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im sure they have there ways of telling. I'm certain they can tell you if it can handle the high-powered load. My best advice I can give yas is bring the gun you want checked out to a well-known everyone-luvs-2-bring-their-guns-too GS. Thas what I would do. But other than that I myself would by a gun jsut for steelshot. Pretty much have a gun for each game yas hunt with given teh money for it all :p:p:p

Jamie

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I guess what I'm asking is what are those "ways of telling"? I'm curious about what they'd have to do to test your barrels. Some people tell me there is no true "test" that can tell for sure.

And I agree with you that it's easier to just get a modern gun designed for steel shot. I have a couple of those and they shoot wonderfully and I don't have to worry about it.

But I also do have one older one that I'd just like to have checked (if that is really possible.)

I'm not shopping for a new gun, I'd just like to check the one I already have... Although I'm always looking for an excuse to shop for a new gun :D

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Just my opinion,but why steel? There are other non-tox loads that are softer and shoot better. I would think that at that point "safe" would simply be decided by barrel wall thickness.I'm not certain on this.Let's ask a gunsmith.HEY RON!!!
Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well Steel is the onyl legal load to shoot waterfowl with and on some reserves........squirell and doves!!! wanna be legal here lolol

Jamie

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm also in a somewhat rare situation in that our skeet fields sit on the edge a lake.

You can't beat the view on a beautiful morning, but you're also limited to steel shot. Bismuth or any other non-tox is way too expensive to shoot clays with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.