Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a Tri-star and was wondering about a small problem. Can you cut the rib and raise it a bit? When I raise the gun I keep looking down top of the receiver instead of the barrel and noticed that on my other guns the rib raises a bit above the receiver and makes it easyer to site on the pin. and if the rib can be raised, about how much does it cost? Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are a few places which advertise add-on ribs to be glued atop your regular rib. You will probably receive more replies if you ask your question on trapshooters.com.

The aluminum add-on rib is advertised by Gander Mountain. You might give them a call or try http://www.gandermountain.com/gunsmithing/shotgun.asp

A caution: do not go overboard on height of an add-on rib -- one-sixteenth to one-eighth inch of added height can usually get your line of sight comfortably above the mass of the receiver.

Hope this helps.

Bill

·
Registered
352 Posts
The other way to go is one of our ribs.
Use the balsa to get the heigth you need and i can set a new vent. rib to that heigth.
It all depends on how you want it done that relates to cost, if you get time call the shop for pricing, i can get it a bit cheaper for fourm members. 913-782-3131 ext. 101

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Using balsa strips taped to your existing rib is the way to go. You want snug cheek pressure on the comb, a pressure that will be consistent during swings and allows the pattern to go to the height you prefer, flat or a little high.

Use a round-headed map pin if you want a front bead on the balsa strip.

Welcome to the problematic world that challenges those of us with low cheekbones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Went through this with my wife's shotgun some time ago. Needed to lower her point of impact as the shotgun was throwing the pattern over 100% high and wanted to adjust to a more managable 60/40 to 70/30 pattern more fitting to her style of shooting.

Started with 3/8 x 3/8 strip stock that I bought from Lowes (poplar I think - about 2 bucks). Angled a cut on the action end that tapered nicely into the existing rib's downward taper (It's on a BT-99). After the test fit, I spray painted the "rib" flat black and taped it to the existing rib (under the vent rib, over my makeshift rib) then glued an old bead to the business end. When the pattern was right (the 3/8 height worked well on the first shooting session - which was conducted at the patterning board) I ordered an add on rib from a guy in Oregon. It's flat black powder coated aluminum pre drilled for a mid bead and drilled and tapped for my hi-vis spark sight. This rib came with industrial strength 3M 2-sided tape that stuck it to the existing rib. The add on is even drilled every 1-2 inches to reduce weight and offer a nice vent rib profile. I think it cost me 60 to 75 bucks. I got the guy's contact info from the aforementioned Trapshooters.com...great sight if that is your game! Another outfit that has a very informative web site and offers a great product is KeenSight...Google it and you'll get the link. They are top folks too and are willing to talk about and explain their product.

Good luck and sorry for the rambling answer.

Bill

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Kevin brings up an excellent point. I reread your first post and if you are looking at the back of the receiver, it is the comb that needs raising, not the rib.

Raising the rib would be the thing to do if instead of looking along the rib, you are looking down onto it, which would make the gun shoot high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.