Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its a well engraved 12 gauge o/u The hallmarks show. 70mm chamber (23/4 inch). 18.3, Kg1470, serial no.22277
Cam. 70 XX8 stamped on the gun, PSF, FINITO. The finishing mark proofing FINITO is that of Gardone & Brescia of Italy.....There are a part of a shield with two lines and a circle in the center which is unknown to me. It also has a 0.45 stamped on it. There is a "V" also

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
The modified Kersten crossbolt action and parallel underlugs that protrude through the bottom of the frame were employed by several Gardone area gunmakers during the 1950's and through the early 70's. The action type and ornamental sideplates remind me of a Gueirini Pintossi or maybe Armi Gnali model of that era.

Remove the barrels from the frame and post some clear, close-up photos of all the markings on the monobloc and underside of the barrels, as well as, visible areas of the interior of the frame. In addition to the usual proof marks and barrel bore dimensions, choke and date code, there may be a maker's mark as well.

The configuration of the gun with sling swivels and sling indicate that it was built for the European market. Is an importer's name and city stamped on the barrels? If you're in the States and an importer's name is not present, the gun may be a personal import via BATFE
Form 6 or a G.I. bring back by military personnel stationed in Europe.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

Df

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Not pintossi, he didn’t use this type of side plates on o/u , take a pic of marks
Boki,

Wow, Zombie threads never die! The OP has not been seen on this forum in over 11 years.

To which Pintossi do you refer? There are 6 different Pintossi firms registered with the Gardone Proof House.

Pintossi Angela
Pintossi-Bazoli
Pintossi E Zanardini
Pintossi Giovanni
Pintossi Pasqua
Pintossi Severino

The 1971 catalogue of Guerini Pintossi A. (Guerini Lorenzo & Pintossi Angela) lists the following over/under shotguns:

Model 67 (#8) non-ejector, double trigger, hidden dual Purdey extensions with crossbolt, no underlug, false sideplates

Model GL55 (#5) non-ejector, double trigger, hidden dual Purdey extensions with crossbolt, Merkel-type underlug, false sideplates.

Model GL55 SL (#7) non-ejector, double trigger, hidden dual Purdey extensions with crossbolt, Merkel-type underlug, Holland-type sidelocks with intercepting sears.

Single triggers were an option on all O/U models. Ejectors were an option on Models GL55 and GL55 SL.

I am not familiar with the other Pintossi firms and would welcome any data you can provide.

All the best,

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wood Rectangle Material property Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Glove

Hand tool Wood Metal Blade Metalworking hand tool

Natural material Wood Bicycle part Close-up Metal

Hand Synthetic rubber Finger Carbon Audio equipment

Christmas tree Trigger Shotgun Air gun Gun barrel

Wood Artifact Natural material Cylinder Sword

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Gun barrel
This is my sxs do you know what is the model maybe and those three stars as far as i know were guerini lorenzo pintossi mark if you know something different please say something because i dont know nothing about it

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
ARE WE LOOKING AT TWO DIFFERENT GUNS or REPLACEMENT BARRELS?

Photo No. 1, Barrel Flats:
The mark of crossed rifles with bayonets before an anvil and hammer within
a shield under a star within a cogged wheel is the coat of arms of the Gardone
Proof House.
The maker's mark of 3 stars, each containing an interior star, is that of Guerini
Pintossi A. (Guerini Lorenzo, Pintossi Angela)
The Date Code "AE" = 1979
The letters PSF under a star within a cogged wheel is the proof mark for the standard proof of 1,080/1,020 bar
The word FINITO under a star within a cogged wheel is the final proof for a gun ready for sale.

NOW THE PROBLEM..........

In Photo #3, FRAME:
The right top edge of the watertable displays the statement, "MADE IN FRANCE".
This is not something one expects to see on an Italian gun. If, in fact, the frame was
made in France, we should determine who made it. It may be possible that the barrels
shown in Photo #1 were supplied as replacements for the original French barrels which
may have been damaged in an accident. If such is the case, there may be a reproof
stamp on the frame.

We need to see more photos of the frame showing:
All markings on the frame watertable: exterior, overhead and interior views
A view of the standing breech face showing extractors, disc set strikers, if any etc.
All markings on the underside of the barrels forward of the barrel flats
All markings on the top/sides of the barrels ie: importer/distributor/sales agency, etc.
Breech end of barrels looking at chambers, extractor and underlug.

While the frame profile of the gun is similar to a Guerini Pintossi A. Model 2 Sport,
that model has minimal borderline engraving whereas your photos depict a gun with
full coverage Acanthus hand engraving. The origin of the frame is questionable.

Subject to receipt of additional information, it appears that barrels made by Guerini Pintossi A
were fitted to an unidentified 12 gauge frame produced in France.

I would welcome any thoughts from other forum members regarding this topic.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

·
Registered
10 Posts
The marks are not a problem i found them all, everything that is putt made in france was the importer by mistake, because they dont read and search for marks they just putt was it on the barrel like cz brno “poldi elektro” and that is not a model! My barrels are made in france by verney carron and it says that verney has manufactured barrels for small known good gun maker, so again importer put that made in france !
Gas Engineering Composite material Bumper Metal

Gas Automotive exterior Bumper Rectangle Auto part

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Boki,

Thank you for the new photos and explanation. I should have made the connection between this thread and the one you started on 01/12/2022. A link to that thread would have been helpful. The Guerini Pintossi maker's mark on the frame clarifies that indeed the frame was made in Gardone VT. It also appears that Sarco in Easton, Pennsylvania imported the gun into the States and incorrectly marked the frame as, "Made in France". While Sarco is well known for militaria items, they occasionally find interesting shotguns such as yours. On a visit to their former location in Sterling, NJ some years ago, I was surprised to find a couple of Brno ZH301 over/unders on display. Not something one expects to see amongst military surplus.

You state that the barrels of your gun were made by Verney Carron. Is there a Verney Carron maker's mark on the tubes? I would expect to see a "VC" (the V is superimposed on the C) or Vercar stamp and possibly the steel grade somewhere on the barrels separate from the Guerini Pintossi maker's mark. Note that Guerini Pintossi offered "special steel" barrels as an extra cost option but, did not specify the source.

With regard to the model of your gun, the profile of the frame and locking is similar to Model No. 2 Sport which employs only double Purdey underlocking lugs. This differs from the frames of Model No. 1 Cigno (side clips and treble or quadruple bolting with a square crossbolt) and Model No. 3 Gardone (treble bolting with a hidden Purdey lock and false sideplates). Cigno and Sport models are extractor only while Gardone could be had with optional automatic ejectors. The engraving pattern of the fences on your gun resembles that of Model No.1 Cigno, however, the body of the frame has full coverage engraving similar to Model No.3 Gardone. It would appear that your 1979 production gun is a newer model, perhaps between Sport and Gardone, and not listed/illustrated in their 1971 catalogue. You may want to do an online search for a 1979 catalogue to correctly I.D. the model of your gun.

FWIW, F.O.B. prices in 1971 ranged from ItLira 40,000.- (Cigno), ItLira 42,000.- (Sport) to ItLira 47,000.- (Gardone). The Proof House fee for each was ItLira 697.-.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts