Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
After a little research, I'm pretty sure I can say no without getting chastised for being wrong.

It appears that the chrome lining in a shotgun barrel is a process that can only take place during manufacture. It is technically not a plating process ... I think it is more integral than a coating or plating.

But if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will tell me.

:?

G

·
Actually I think the barrel can be chromed after manf. I know they can do it to rifle barrels.

But I do not think the chrome has anything to do with shooting steel shot. The problem with steel is that it can expand the barrel when forced down by the choke. Chrome adds no strength to the barrel.

On way to shoot steel might be to contact Brily and see if they can fit it with their thin-wall choke system with the chokes that are strong enough to shoot steel. It depends on barrel diameter, but they can fit a lot of them. they use tubes that are much stronger than the steel in the barrel.

About $500 for a double, but they do a great job.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guest,
That's great advice. I thought that chrome kept the barrels from being scored by the harder steel shot, I didn't realize it was just the chokes that were the issue. I'm not sure I want to put tubes in my gun, but it is cheaper than buying another gun.

·
Registered
985 Posts
SAFETY WARNING!!!!
IT IS NOT JUST THE CHOKES IN YOUR GUN!!!!

Your gun may be too old or too thin to handle the steel shot. Do not shoot steel in a gun unless you have a gunsmith, owners manual, original manufacture, or stamp that say go ahead. Putting a choke in a gun will not make the chamber strong enough to handle the increased pressure of steel loads.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yup, Gordon's right--to get steel to kill effectively, they have to make it go faster out of the muzzle, and the only way to do that is to load it to higher pressures. The barrel's a worry, but the breech, bolt, receiver, etc. are even more of a concern. If you want to go waterfowling or something, shoot Bismuth or Kent Gamebore tungsten.

G

·
sorry I posted. I withdraw my comment about fitting chokes and using steel shot. I really was thinking about otherwise modern and sound shotguns. Forgot about things like old 16 gauge doubles. I had the brilys put into a 101 waterfowler that was probably okay for steel anyway. they do shoot nice though.

Personally I don't shoot steel anyway. Lousy for hunting and not required anywhere I shoot targets.

shoot bismuth if you need to for hunting. You can buy a lot of it for the cost of a choke job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts