Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like several of the 20ga sporting guns and the Cordoba but I don't want a ported barrel. Does anyone know if you can order these guns without porting??

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
goosedowner said:
I really like several of the 20ga sporting guns and the Cordoba but I don't want a ported barrel. Does anyone know if you can order these guns without porting??
Yep! I get you. At best, porting is useless and has no benefit. At worst, it will annoyingly drip mess when you clean your barrels. It won't technically cost you any targets.

Benelli should know better by now. Browning finally figured it out. But it's not cheap to retool or otherwise always produce what consumers prefer. So, hopefully you can find, order, or piece together exactly what you want and makes you happy.

Sounds like for sure you prefer a Benelli Sporter. Good guns with tons of happy owners. I imagine you've already ruled out Affinity, Retay, and other inertia specimens. I'm not aware of another brand which offers recoil reducing designed stocks, but I'm not totally up on inertia guns.

Personally, I'd only reluctantly tolerate porting if I got a screaming great deal on a used gun I absolutely loved and had to have, and could never find without porting. Or, perhaps, in an inexpensive utilitarian niche gun, it might not be a deal killer. But that's just me. I will not pay the going rate or top dollar for either new or used guns with stupid, nonsensical extra holes in the barrels.

Good luck! Hope you find what you like!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd have a 20ga Sport II tomorrow if it weren't for the porting. Too loud to for me to feel good about shooting over my pointer.

I'm hoping they make make a 20ga high rib without porting at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
>>I'd have a 20ga Sport II tomorrow if it weren't for the porting<<

I've had two of these in the past and have been running the 12 ga. version for 15 years now. While porting wouldn't be my choice, it's really a non issue in the long run. Nobody complains about the (supposed) noise and cleaning takes a few mere swabs of a soft bristled toothbrush with Hoppes. It's a bit of "much ado about very little", at least to me. YMMV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
RUT said:
>>I'd have a 20ga Sport II tomorrow if it weren't for the porting<<

I've had two of these in the past and have been running the 12 ga. version for 15 years now. While porting wouldn't be my choice, it's really a non issue in the long run. Nobody complains about the (supposed) noise and cleaning takes a few mere swabs of a soft bristled toothbrush with Hoppes. It's a bit of "much ado about very little", at least to me. YMMV.
If I was talking about a gun for clays, I'd completely agree. most people wear hearing protection anyways, and the cleaning isn't that big a deal. I shoot a 725 sporting with ports and maintenance isn't a problem. Sound, however, is. I've had many friends remark how much louder my 725 is than other guns, particularly if you're alongside, where people would be if we were hunting.

I typically don't wear ear plugs when I'm quail hunting, neither does my dog. the increase in sound with ports is just way too much to make that comfortable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts