Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a bunch of these hulls at the range because I noticed they had an eight point crimp like the nicer hulls do. I figure an eight point crimp means they're not promo or throw away hulls.

I can't tell anything about which particular hull they are, I don't know anything about Federal loads. My guess is they are the cheaper target loads that come packaged four or five boxes at a time at Walmart.

They are 12 gauge, and a deeper red color than a new style AA hull, I'd have to call it a maroon color. The base isn't a brass color, but a silver color. They've got ridges on the hull, not unlike a Remington Gun Club hull. I figure if they're any good for reloading, they're always laying around the range and I could get as much as I wanted.

Is there a market for these guys or did I waste my time picking them up?

·
Registered
387 Posts
You are correct. They are the Federals in the 100 Round Value Pack, like at Wal-Mart. Some load them several times. Others maybe once or not at all--probably because of the paper basewad. I recently loaded some for hunting quail using Fed 209A--23.0 Green Dot--Fed12S3--1 oz magnum 8's=1290 fps, 7500 psi. Unless the paper basewad is in crappy shape, go ahead and load 'em. I prefer the Rem Game Load and Gun Clubs over the Federal Multi-Purpose Shotshells myself.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
those are promos---use federal game load data, and look inside--they should have a paper basewad.

they load fine--i can't get them to hold a primer, reliably, more than one load. no big deal in a breakopen gun, in an auto you don't want to puke one into the trigger

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
If they are free use 'em.Keep in mind if left outside during wet weather that cardboard insert will absorb moisture--not good.This tends to make e'm come loose :oops: Another tip--these hulls are not well suited to light loads-3/4 or 7/8 oz.1 OZ IS ABOUT AS LIGHT AS YOU CAN GO.The case has a lot of internal volume.Years ago I was loading 1 1/2 oz loads with this hull :twisted:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sounds like the same hull as the Fed TopGun hull that I have loaded a few times. Use the Federal clone wad for them. They crimp pretty good, but as others have said, because of the paper basewad, I would use them only once or twice.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
Sure you can. I wouldnt load them more than once or twice at the most. I pick up a few from time to time to use for doubles.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sure can load them. As the other forum members have pointed out, one or two loadings are all you can expect before the primer comes up loose, but I collect them whenever I can, and use them for sporting clays. That way I can leave the empties in the bucket at the stand instead of worrying about where I am going to carry them (I walk our clays course. Just cant bring myself to use a golf cart for a 3/8 mile walk.)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I can't remember ever having a loose primer on a federal paper b/w hull, even after quite a few loadings.
I think they load fabulous, they crimp great on the 1st/2nd loading.

·
Registered
839 Posts
When Im at tournaments I will usually by these at gander mountain...I dont like having to worry about putting my shells in my pouch so I just eject them on the ground. I can get all the STS and AA's I need at the shoots...I have reloaded these shells though, they are allright. I think the paper shells reload really nicely and reduce recoil...you have to make sure you get those on a dry day though :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I load the Federal and Estates of this type with the same data for SC. 1 1/8oz-19gr Red Dot-Federal 12S3 wad-Fed209 primer. They reload nicely approx 3 or 4 times then some start to split. They work great for practice loads. You may have to adjust your primer seat depth, as I have noticed if you load AA's currently then switch to these promos, the primer is slightly(very slightly) out of the shell. It's almost unnoticable, but if you are detailed about your loads it might bug you. I gather all I can fit in my vest when I walk the SC course. Use Federal "High Power" data.

Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts