Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a pretty new shotgun shooter when it comes to things that fly. I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon in 28 gauge that I recently purchased. Weve been shooting clays on private property with a Do All thrower.

I had some problems with some Noble shells I purchased, they were bulges from the shot in some of them. I could not close the Beretta when I had one of them in the bottom barrel but could if I had one in the top. I was doing really bad and missing most of the clays, they are all going straight away, I figured I might as well use the rest of the Noble I had.

I have a IC tube in the lower barrel and a Mod in the upper. I switched the Beretta to fire the top barrel first and used up the rest of the shells, I broke 10 out of 12 only using the top barrel.

The Do All does not throw real far so theoretically I'd figure if anything I'd do better with the IC barrel but thats not the case.

What can I be doing wrong where I hit a lot better with the upper barrel? I'm right handed, I THINK the gun fits me, I just can't understand it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Shoot it like a target gun to see where your point of impact is. Then try to do a patterning board to see where you are looking with the gun mounted. Keep the tightest chokes you have in the gun. Also try different ammo even though 28 gauge is pretty pricey. When that is done if you still are missing repost and see what other help you can get.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
This may be what Sportclayslayer means.

1st you want to see where the barrels are shooting. Shoot at a pattern board from a rest, braced on crossed sticks, braced on a tripod or sitting with your elbows braced on your knees. Actually aim the barrel at a spot on the pattern board. This will show were each barrel is shooting relative to the other.

Next find out were you are shooting. This do free hand, like you are shooting at clay targets, but shoot at a pattern board.

This will be a good time to check the patterns thrown by your various chokes at various distances.

If you do not have access to a patterning board, a card board 3 feet square nailed to 2 stakes, will do with some 3 feet square plain paper taped to it.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I agree. First on the list is to check where the barrels are directing the shot. Even in quality guns, the two barrels aren't always regulated properly.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Sportclaysslayer's point about trying different ammo can have an effect on the patterns as well.
I've noticed that my reloads shoot only fair w/ an IC tube, but the same load through a LM tube have very uniform patterns (on a patterning board as well as on clays).

·
Registered
110 Posts
And if it's not the gun itself, you could be canting your gun. A little bit a cant makes a significant difference. Does your gun have a mid-rib bead? Does it line up in a figure 8 with the front bead when you mount?

FWIW,
Lee

·
2,386 Posts
Switch your choke tubes and shoot some more to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
bubbalee said:
And if it's not the gun itself, you could be canting your gun. A little bit a cant makes a significant difference.
I was thinking the same thing. One of the benefits of shooting an auto is you only have to align one barrel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts