Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of the possibility of a new law going into effect come September? It seems it is no longer safe for your gun to ride in a moving vehicle without being restrained in a car seat. Bubba can no longer hold his trusty 870 in his lap while driving down a dirt road. According to officials, the possibility of spilling drinks, mustard, grease from a hamburger, etc, etc. puts your gun at too high of risk of being damaged. A new cushioned restraining car seat aparatus is being devised and should retail for around 1500.00 A spokesman for the manufacturing company says this law has to be the finest one that he has ever had the pleasure of voting on. He was quoted as saying, "Here at Carseatsforguns we strive to develop quality items for the sportsman." :lol:

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Which gun carseat is better, the Mossberg or Remington? I think the buckle on the Mossberg seat seems a little loose. The Remington seems to fit my o/u's better too.
G

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I think those would both be okay starter gun carseats - regardless of which one you pick. But I would rather save a little and get a used "B" carseat.

By the way, I often take my guns to the range, hunting, and to riots. Which gun carseat would be best for all three? Can you have just one guncarseat for all driving purposes?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The steel seated Remington is good for a lower end seat, but if you want it to last, it would be best to save and get a used Beretta or Browning as gar-dog suggested. Guns that are going to be that active will create excess wear on the car seat, thus wearing out the seat, eventually. It's ok to put guns
that perform all duties in the same car seat if it's a "B" car seat.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Another thought: Are most gun carseats cast neutral?

I typically would use it on the driver's side of the car, but may sometimes put it on the passenger's side. I would think cast neutral gun carseats would be best in these circumstances.

Oh, newbie question here: Are the gun carseats sold by Wal-Mart first-run products????

Thanks for all your help on this topic!
G

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I don't know for sure about the neutral thing. I agree that they SHOULD be cast neutral. Does anyone know whether they are selling seconds at Wal-Mart?
I would recommend buying no less than a "B" car seat at your local gun dealer's, and it would last a lifetime.

"HOOK 'EM HORNS" AND "I LOVE MOSSBERG"

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
i luv mossberg 2. LOL my gun carseat i took out in moms car with my friendz cuz we was just playin round u know. I shot huumingbirds out the window with my airsoft gun LOL wanna see pics? No really tho gun carseats rock.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Double D gun rest is suppose to be the best. Most guns slip right in and are held tight. :wink:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Would this law mean a pintle mount "ma deuce" in the back of my pick up would be legal?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just get the cheapest car seat you can afford. Heck, I know a guy that has a cousin that already has a cheapie Mossberg car seat. I am not sure how it works but I think you have to push a release button on it, then slide the outer bar out of the way, then when the gun is in the seat, you slide it back up in place to hold the gun secure. It is a slide action car seat I guess. Anyway, he takes his Mossberg car seat to the big time trap shoots. He isn't embarrassed at all either. I even heard that he can and regularly does fit "P" and "K" guns in it all the time. He says that you dont need expensive car seats and that there is nothing better than proving you can fit expensive guns into a cheapo car seat.

Doug Gordon

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd say the most important factor is car seat fit. A$5000 B or K car seat won't do you any good if it doesn't fit your gun. On the other hand, a $300 Wal Mart car seat can give the casual shooter/driver a lifetime of service.
One question, my new car seat's manual calls for a break in period of 300 miles. Is it ok to transport my O/U during this time, or should I stick to my old Model 12?

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
mdboatbum said:
I'd say the most important factor is car seat fit. A$5000 B or K car seat won't...
Unless it is an "R"...all you're doing is effectively spending more money than you should on the $300 seat. Surely one of the cheapos will fit just as well, sorta', or you should save a few extra nickels and upgrade to a used B seat so you won't have to put up with the rattles and those god-awful cast parts. If you do go with the R seat, break-in isn't much of an issue.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
gar-dog said:
i luv mossberg 2. LOL my gun carseat i took out in moms car with my friendz cuz we was just playin round u know. I shot huumingbirds out the window with my airsoft gun LOL wanna see pics? No really tho gun carseats rock.
:lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I have a friend of a friend whose daddy installed his guncarseat in backwards using a special mounting device that he made himself and now he can haul 2 guns at once. He also installed a side arm mount to use with his .38 special pistol. So actually, it can haul 3 if you count the pistol. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts