Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am the proud owner of a 12 ga. Remington 870 Express. I would to know what is the best way to take care of it. I also want to know what is the best way to store the extra barrel that came with it. Right now the gun resides in a soft carrying case, and the extra barrel remains in the box that everything came in.Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't know ab the best way, but I clean my gun after each hunt (standard cleaning kit w/ hoppes solvent and oil), and then spray lightly with WD 40 before I put it away.My wingmaster is 29yrs old and works just fine.

·
Registered
383 Posts
oil or grease (for long term storage) the extra barell and make sure it does not get too humid in the storage box.You really should leave the barell out of the box or leave an opening in the box if possible if the barell is not encased in grease. avrantinissihtimini

·
Registered
383 Posts
WD 40 is 'too efficient', it tends to remove more oil or paint than it would be deemed necessary without having enough lubricating constituents to replace them, possibly causing long term damage. If you ues it you have to oil the gun afterwards. avrantinissihtimini

·
Registered
96 Posts
I personally would never use WD-40 on a gun unless I was trying to free up a particularily sticky component. For regular maintenance, I keep it away.I really like to clean my guns with a good solvent, dry them, and with an extremely lightly-oiled cloth, wipe them down prior to reassembly. A little lubrication, and I do mean a little, may be necessary in certain areas of an action to reduce wear and promote proper movement. I do this in the form of Rem-Oil. Mike RossLife Member, NAHCMember, National Rifle AssociationMember, Meeker Co. Historical Society

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank for the info.I tinker with cars and motorcycles in my spare time, while I had never heard any admonishments against using WD-40 on guns, it just seem like too potent a penetrating oil for gun use.Again, Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had several guys bring in older shotguns and rifles for me to clean and/or repair who have stated that they only use WD-40 to clean and oil their guns. While it may do a decent job on the outside, it can cause major gumming and dirt attraction on the inside of the action...especially in the trigger groups. Personally, I've found that Rem Oil works great for most applications. If I need to oil a firearm for long-term storage, or have just finished bluing one, I'll spray some BreakFree on a rag and give it a light coating with it. It works great and doesn't attract as much dirt and dust as other lubricants.If you have a stainless steel piece that needs long term protection, you can make your own lubricant by combining 80% Automatic transmission fluid, 10% Marvel's Mystery Oil and 10% 30w motor oil. A little drop goes a L-O-N-G way. If you use it on actions or bolt faces, make SURE you get all of it off before firing the gun. It has the tendency to raise the pressure if left in the action.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A good friend accually uses machine oil on his Mossberg 500, and it works as well as Hoppe's No.9 "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective"--Ted Nugent

·
Registered
22 Posts
I read on another board that WD-40 leaves a residue that eventually gums up. I had used wd-40 liberally on a Citori. Three years later I had to take the stock off and I saw a gummy residue on the lock mechanism. It never interferred with operations however and was easily cleaned off. I stopped using WD-40 however.

I think "WD" means water displacement and that is what the product intended to do.

I used to store guns in cases ( soft break down style), but rust developed on the end of the barrell and on the ejectors. I quit storing in cases and store in a cabinet -- usually barrell down.

Barrell down -- yet another story of oil (even used sparingly) inexplicably getting to the wood near the receiver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts