Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with or reliable information about Carlson Chokes, Inc., located in Kansas? I'm thinking of having them shorten a barrel on one of my 870's and installing their three-choke "True Choke" package. After shortening, the barrel would be too thin for keeping the Remchokes. I called them on the phone, the guy I talked to was intelligent and professional, they have a fairly quick turnaround time, and the price is quite reasonable compared to some other custom barrel services I've looked at. The web page is here:

http://www.carlsonschokes.com/instal.htm

Also, kind of an afterthought, is it worth having them polish the forcing cone while they are at it?

Thanks for any advice, opinions, etc.!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been shooting Carlson ext. steel tubes for about three years now, out of my Mossbergs and Stoegers. They seem to pattern steel and lead equally well, and are reasonably priced. As far as the forcing cone goes, if the gun shoots well, and you don't mind the little extra cleaning effort, leave it be. Then again, some people insist on shiney shoes too. Take care. :wink:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to hold off on any choke work for now. Here's what I did--I mostly wanted a faster-handling gun for grouse (anyboy who's ever hunted them in the NE hills knows what I mean). So I picked up a used youth model barrel for my 870 express in 20 ga. It's 21-in. long, and with a skeet choke tube it's the perfect thick cover grouse gun, light, fast, and throws a nice pattern at 10-15 yards with 2 3/4 in shells (#7.5 shot). Also, this idea saved me having to chop up my OEM barrel, which I kind of want to keep for ducks!

G

·
I have had Carlson's do choke work on half dozen guns; all with super quality results. Their work is very professional. Prices are right! I highly recommend them to all. Keep head down...keep swinging!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have found Carlson's chokes to measure exactly what they are marked. The only "odd" thing is that the modified choke I ordered was knurled coarser than all the rest. It appears as though they used a different machine to do that one. It is actually kind of sad because I liked the coarse one better, it gives me more grip. But that is a minor "problem" considering the amount I saved compared to Briley.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.