Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a call from his wife saying he's out of the operating room and in recovery. The operation went well and with Chuck's determination and drive, the long road through rehab to another successful knee replacement begins. Back in the field chasing after bird dogs by springtime is his goal, and I'm betting he does it.

· Registered
23,900 Posts
Well, getting pumped full of antibiotics, and some other stuff. Pain pills every few hours. Q ball working great.

cdb

· Registered
23,900 Posts
They rolled me out at 05:30, spit bath, got out of bed for a few steps. PT due in sometime today to take a stroll.

cdb

Reactions: Gator89

· Registered
9 Posts
Glad to read that you are doing well. I had both knees replaced five months apart, (pre and during covid) the second one was out patient, surgery at 10 home going up and down driveway at 6:30 with walker. Go easy on the pain meds, and do your rehab exercises faithfully 2 times daily. Keep moving, and remember it gets better with each new day.

· Registered
800 Posts
6 months post knee replacement I was able to walk the fields of SD just find. I’m sure you’ve heard this many times already but let me further emphasize how critical it is to do and continue to do your physical therapy. Otherwise you might as well have skipped the whole knee replacement experience.

Good luck with your recovery.

Reactions: WIflytier

· Registered
692 Posts
Glad to hear everything went well cdb. Looks like I'm next to go under the knife. TKA (right knee) scheduled for next Tuesday. I've been doing my pre-op therapy/exercises 2-3 times/day since mid-August, and am looking forward to FINALLY being able to walk more than 1/4 mile without pain.

· Registered
5,273 Posts
It's been ten years since my 2nd knee was replaced. Doing the PT is key to success. Here's hoping for a quick and full recovery. Don't forget to get the replaced knee card necessary for air travel or you'll be getting extra attention.

· Registered
23,900 Posts
Home PT is not going as good with the left knee compared to the right knee 2 weeks out I was 0 degrees extension, and ROM was 95 degrees with the right knee. Right now I am -5 extension, and 75 degrees ROM with the left knee.

cdb

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I remember correctly, you were a superstar with your first knee rehab. Comparing the two may be useful. but to expect both rehabs to be identical may lead to disappointment. I know your determination to complete your rehab to the letter, and my advice is stick with it and you'll eventually get there.

· Registered
23,900 Posts
Yes, the pre surgery meeting with the Dr, he said you have the same surgeon, same surgery team, same patient, same parts, same procedure, but 2 completely different knees. Don't expect the same results. So I was expecting this, and actually I am within the parameters for where I should be right now, the average is 65-90 ROM, and -7 to 0 extension. I was hoping for another miracle, but I think that isn't going to happen. But at least I am 5ft 9 inches again, without bowed legs.:):):)

cdb

· Registered
692 Posts
Day three Post-op. Last night was a little rough. The surgical team told me to expect increased swelling and higher pain levels day 2 - 3, but I think I may have overdone my home PT yesterday. Had to supplement the Tylenol and Celebrex with an oxy shortly after midnight, and as a result, got very little sleep. Pain is back down to a manageable level now. Prior to discharge my extension was measured at -2°, and flexion was at 95°.

· Registered
23,900 Posts
Those are really good numbers, the second night was my worse for both operations. 10 days after the operation on second knee, -5 and 80 degrees this morning. Second operation was a lot worse than the first one.

cdb

· Registered
23,900 Posts
Well, here is what a knee replacement looks like, 46 staples.

Joint Neck Knee Thigh Waist

cdb

· Registered
692 Posts
I'll have to remember to take a picture of mine when I get the bandage off next week. We can compare scars.;)

· Registered
23,900 Posts
I'll have to remember to take a picture of mine when I get the bandage off next week. We can compare scars.;)
It will be interesting to see how many staples you have, my right knee had only 38 staples.

cdb

· Registered
553 Posts
I have been told, that I will need this surgery on both knees. Not really looking forward to it. Was also told, the sooner the better, just getting a little burnt out on doctors lately. cdb1097, You are good inspiration!

· Registered
23,900 Posts
If you do your PT religiously, it is not that bad, the first week is the roughest, after that not really bad, it looks worse than it is,

cdb

· Registered
23,900 Posts
Done with my home PT, Monday I start PT at the clinic 3 days a week.

cdb

1 - 20 of 23 Posts