Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all Im very new to reloading shotgun. I have a lee load all 2. and a Crap load of shells that I would like to reload. So i have WST powder 209 primers and rem 1 1/8 oz wads. not sure what shot i Can use or slugs. Sorry very green to this and have no local help.
Im from Watford Ont
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,643 Posts
Welcome to SGW

First I will answer a question, you can use any size shot you want in a hull. That is not load specific. I know nothing about slugs.
Next I have to ask a question. What are the name brands on that"Crap load of shells" you have because that does make a difference in the info we give you.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
First advice, buy a Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook, 5th Ed. Secondly, a scale to confirm powder charge.
Challenger hulls are not a prime hull to reload, requiring larger diameter Euro size primers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,402 Posts
You need to get a manual called Lyman's Shotshell Reloading Handbook. The current edition is Fifth. It is on Amazon. It is a good general writeup of all the fundamentals of shotgun reloading and includes a variety of recipes. It also includes a lot of cutaway photos of various hulls that will help with identification. You need to read it, several times. It is not perfect, but is about the best general discussion of shotgun reloading around. Then, you need to forget about what wads and powder you have and instead think about what you want to do. What is the ammo for? How much shot do you want, what velocity? You will need to identify and sort the hulls. Your wads will work in some, not others. Powder is not interchangeable. There is a huge variety used for various loads. WST stands for Winchester Super Target. It is used for 12 gauge clay target loads, typically 1 and 1 1/8 ounce. ALL primes are 209. That is a size. You need to soecify the exact primer, they are not interchangeable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
VapXtream said:
http://www.munitionschallenger.com/photos/photos_site_challenger/muni_4000_a_4015.jpg
these are the shells i have
And have Cheddite primers
I've collected a bunch of these too, but not got around to loading them, have too many RIOs and Fed TG to mess with anything else yet. I don't actually know if they will demand a RIO/FIO/NSI size primer. I think they are a Cheddite hull, and the French made Estate (Cheddite) hulls I have loaded accept a Cheddite(same as domestic size) primer just fine.

Easy peasy check, put a domestic primer in a Challenger hull. If you can push it back out with a ball point pen tip easily with finger pressure, you will answer your own question. Not everyone can reload STS or AA hulls, there physically aren't enough of them for every reloader. Some of us actually like the SW hulls, have no issues with them and have an endless FREE supply of them. I've never paid for a 1X shotshell hull in my life, only metallic cases. And have never fired a 1X case more than once myself before tossing it, they multiply like mice in my bins. :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oldtechshooter said:
VapXtream said:
http://www.munitionschallenger.com/photos/photos_site_challenger/muni_4000_a_4015.jpg
these are the shells i have
And have Cheddite primers
I've collected a bunch of these too, but not got around to loading them, have too many RIOs and Fed TG to mess with anything else yet. I don't actually know if they will demand a RIO/FIO/NSI size primer. I think they are a Cheddite hull, and the French made Estate (Cheddite) hulls I have loaded accept a Cheddite(same as domestic size) primer just fine.

Easy peasy check, put a domestic primer in a Challenger hull. If you can push it back out with a ball point pen tip easily with finger pressure, you will answer your own question. Not everyone can reload STS or AA hulls, there physically aren't enough of them for every reloader. Some of us actually like the SW hulls, have no issues with them and have an endless FREE supply of them. I've never paid for a 1X shotshell hull in my life, only metallic cases. And have never fired a 1X case more than once myself before tossing it, they multiply like mice in my bins. :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
The primers fit well no problems. And as for wads i have Rem R12H power pistons. And the WST powder. Im sorry if im trying to get info easy. But im looking for a starter point. would like a good safe load Combo with what i have to use
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,402 Posts
A good safe load combo..., TO DO WHAT??
Shoot skeet, shoot trap, shoot sporting clays, shoot quail, shoot pheasants,......
OR
Just figure out something you can do with the components you have that will go boom and not blow Up?
With all due respect- the starter point really is get a good manual and gain an understanding of the basics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
albatros said:
A good safe load combo..., TO DO WHAT??
Shoot skeet, shoot trap, shoot sporting clays, shoot quail, shoot pheasants,......
OR
Just figure out something you can do with the components you have that will go boom and not blow Up?
With all due respect- the starter point really is get a good manual and gain an understanding of the basics.
We shoot alot of Clays. and lol figure out what i Can do with what i have for the time being. Im trying to get what i need for info. But being from a small town its hard to fine what i need for the most part.
I have a lee load all 2 press
Challanger 2 3/4 shells and a few others
WST powder
Cheddite primers
Rem wads.
I just need to know Can i load these together and what do i use for the bushings. I Cant find any info for what i have in aCombo

Was also wondering if uCan put primers in the shells with out loading the rest. Just as a prep step. Please dont take this as being stupid I just dont know. Looking for help thats all. I have a tinkering problem. and having all this stuff and not really knowing what to do is driving me nuts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,402 Posts
You need a manual and you need a powder scale. You use a scale to determine the bushing. No one here is assuming you are any stupider than we were when we started. You are and we were, not stupid. We were/ you are, just uneducated. There is a solution that we all used, get a manual, learn.
Can you put primers in shells as a starter? Check out various sites selling reloading components such as Ballistic Products. You will notice they sell primed hulls. You can prime hulls too.

Your Remington wads are NOT a good choice for straight wall hulls. I have not researched it,but I believe Challengers are straightwall hulls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
VapX, if these are the Challenger hulls with the brass washed steel head and Canada printed on the head I would shoot them out of a break open gun but would be careful shooting them out of an auto. I've never reloaded any but have measured the spent primers (10hulls) and they all measured .243 to .2435 which is a Cheddite primer according to the primer chart that circulates on this site.(Tom Ceretto's chart), I can seat a WW209 primer with very little thumb pressure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
VapXtream said:
albatros said:
A good safe load combo..., TO DO WHAT??
Shoot skeet, shoot trap, shoot sporting clays, shoot quail, shoot pheasants,......
OR
Just figure out something you can do with the components you have that will go boom and not blow Up?
With all due respect- the starter point really is get a good manual and gain an understanding of the basics.
We shoot alot of Clays. and lol figure out what i Can do with what i have for the time being. Im trying to get what i need for info. But being from a small town its hard to fine what i need for the most part.
I have a lee load all 2 press
Challanger 2 3/4 shells and a few others
WST powder
Cheddite primers
Rem wads.
I just need to know Can i load these together and what do i use for the bushings. I Cant find any info for what i have in aCombo

Was also wondering if uCan put primers in the shells with out loading the rest. Just as a prep step. Please dont take this as being stupid I just dont know. Looking for help thats all. I have a tinkering problem. and having all this stuff and not really knowing what to do is driving me nuts.
I would not worry too much about what you have on hand. I would get myself 200-500 or so good once fired hulls such as Rem STS or Win AA. These hulls are very good and last for many reloads. There are also dozens of exact reloading recipes provided by all the powder manufactures for these hulls because they are so popular.

Take a look at Hodgden and Alliant's reloading website for all the recipes. I pretty much use Red Dot and Clays powder exclusively, but there are many more that work just fine.

If you are going to get addicted to the Sporting Clays game, I would also ditch the Lee press and upgrade to a MEC. I would recommend the MEC 9000GN. Yes, even for a newbie. Here is why:

- You can load single stage (one shell at a time) manually indexed with the 9000 until your arm falls off.

- Then, when you are comfortable, you can load progressive, manually indexed until your arm falls off.

- After that, you can connect the auto index feature and go progressive, auto indexed like the machine was designed to run.

You do need instruction manuals like others have said. MEC has a cult following and there's several good pubs out there specifically dealing with their machines. BPI has one, Expertreloader.com, etc. MEC manuals are also very good as is their tech support.

I think you are in for some severe headaches and maybe some dangerous situations trying to mix and match odd ball components. If you reload to shoot like many of us do, you will thank me later. In about one hour, I can load enough ammo to get me through a week of shooting. And it is good quality ammo. My favorite load for Sporting Clays is:

Hulls - Rem STS
Primer - Rem 209 STS
Powder - Red Dot (19.0) grains as published 1200 fps.
Wads - Rem Fig 8
Shot - Magnum 7.5, 1 1/8 oz.

Gamamiel's and Ballistics Products are good suppliers.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I would like to thank everyone for there help and suggestions. I know its hard for some to answer some of the same question over and over. But thanks for the help.
On another note I have ordered the book and Scales are ordered as well. hoping to get to the gun club this weekend to grab some more shells. I will be doing some testing on the Challanger hulls i have and will keep u all posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
Being new to shot shell reloading you will be much better off to start with a very commonly reloaded hull to learn the ropes of reloading. I would suggest Remington hulls, which have tons of published reloading data. Once you have some experience (it comes fast) you can branch out into hulls for which there is less data, like Challenger. You may have to buy a flat of expensive shells (I understand that there are no low cost shells in Canada) and shoot them to get the hulls but in the long run it will be worth it to ease your way into the wondrous world of shot shell reloading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
We're almost neighbours as I live outside Sarnia in Camlachie.

I've reloaded 500 of these hulls in the last month as once & done for my autoloader. These hulls have more capacity than Federal Top Gun or Gold Medal hulls. I expect you will get a severely dished crimp with the wads you have & no amount of adjusting will give you an acceptable crimp. Based on Republican's experiences, I bought some Claybuster 6100 wads for loading 1 oz. loads. The fit is perfect in these hulls. If you want to load 1 1/8 oz loads, I'm sure the 6118 wads would be an excellent fit.

I purchased mine from Lawry in Caledonia.

As an aside on these hulls, the factory crimps are deeper than anything else I have seen. They measure .090" to .100" deep.

Bob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,991 Posts
RHS47 said:
Based on Republican's experiences, I bought some Claybuster 6100 wads for loading 1 oz. loads. The fit is perfect in these hulls.
I agree, - these are really easy and forgiving hulls to load, especially with that wad. Just have to remember to use either a Rio, Nobel Sport, or Fiocchi primer, that's all. Those hulls have really good crimp memory too.

As far as "data", you can use data for Fiocchi, Rio/Kemen, and Cheddite hulls (as well as the Federal hulls).

RHS47 said:
If you want to load 1 1/8 oz loads, I'm sure the 6118 wads would be an excellent fit.
Performance-wise, the Claybuster CB2118 (true 12S3 clone) would be the better choice, but for a beginner, the CB6118 would probably be better because of it's softer crush section legs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Republican, my experience with primer fit is different than yours. I use Federal 209A primers & I cannot seat a primer by hand into these hulls, I just tried & I can only seat it about 1/3 of the way. I can feel the resistance when seating a primer in my press, a MEC 650.

Bob.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top