23,901 Posts
Rastoff said:
My normal recipe is:
Win AA
Fiocchi 209
1oz lead shot
18grn Red Dot
DRA-12 or CB1100-12

According to Alliant this will be approximately 8,600psi peak pressure in the chamber.

I've recently considered loading some el-cheapo Fed hulls. They require the CB6100-12 wad due to the straight wall. While researching the recipe for this I find that I can use everything the same (except the hull and wad), but the pressure is down to ~6,430psi.

My question is this, why is the pressure so much lower? Is it due to the straight wall vs tapered walls of the hull?

I like the lower pressure. If I can get the same performance out of my shells by switching to this then I may never go back.
It is most probably due to the increased combustion area. Don't stockpile those loads if you will be using them in colder (below 40F). The performance may go into the dumper.

·
Administrator
23,901 Posts
Rastoff said:
However, why would the performance go down due to temperature? Does the temperature dramatically affect the burn rate of the powder?
I have noticed a far greater incidence of pooky loads in temps less than 45F, most especially with Fiocchi primers, a little less with Nobel Sports.. Lower pressure loads only make it worse, been there.

·
Administrator
23,901 Posts
Rastoff said:
The only thing I know is that a lower chamber pressure is safer. Is there a chamber pressure "sweet spot" that we should be looking for? I don't want no "pooky" loads.
If you are shooting a modern firearm, anything under the Allowable maximums suggested by Saami, is as safe as any other load that performs satisfactorily. Below that, you can get barrel obstructions. The higher pressure but acceptable loads do seem to perform more consistently.
Do what you wish but keep a knock out rod close. :mrgreen: Those reflectors on a tall stick work very well @ $2.00 from Home Despot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.